SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is when my boat broke it's moorings and drifted in on a high tide. Took us 36 hrs to get her afloat again. I changed mooring contractors after that.

Mychael

·
never convicted
482 Posts
That'll help keeping the 'beard' off your keel.[vbg]

·
Detachable member
377 Posts
how did you get it afloat again. did the high tide right it or did you have to drag it back into the water at all?

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how did you get it afloat again. did the high tide right it or did you have to drag it back into the water at all?
The first high tide after the grounding was not "high" enough, all we succeeded in doing was getting her turned around. The next high tide was enough that we were able to motor her off with help from kedging with the anchors.
We would never have tried to drag her back in until rudder was free, as it was the rudder took a bit of a pounding when she first stood upright as wave action kept causing the rudder to hit down on the ground.

Mychael

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Ouch... that's never good. :(

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would have been good to try to recover damages. There were no costs as such and luckily she got through pretty much unscathed I lost 2 days off work having to be there but at the time I was just glad to get her afloat again so I never pursued for any cost recovery.

Mychael

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Cam-

At least your rig is still standing..mostly... :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Allthumbs-

CruisingDad is the notorious BBQ grillmeister, Cam is the RV owning redneck. Please don't confuse the two, you'll insult the rednecks... :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
It's not as dramatic as the posts above, but still wrong!

I was up the mizzen this morning to remove the halyard. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dismasted at her mooring by a drunken boater in the middle of the night. No one was aboard my boat at the time; it was a hit and run. Bastard was never caught.

Some ppl are just born a/holes with no sense of responsibility. Is all the hull damage on the other side? how did the mast come to get broken?

Mychael

1 - 20 of 47 Posts