SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wannabe Sailor!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’m new to this community (& Sailing) and would like to introduce myself. I’m Rick Nelson and I live in Tampa Florida. I’ve lived in Florida most my life, always owned power boats, and now just after retiring, very interested in transitioning to learning to sail. Being in the Tampa Bay/Florida West Coast area lends itself perfectly to sailing year round and I’m ready to “jump-in” and start on a new learning curve. Since I am such a novice to sailing, I’d love your thoughts as to how to best start to learn all the ins and outs of sailing with the goal of owning my own boat (>30ft) in the future. If someone in the Tampa/St. Pete area has a sailboat and would like a deck hand out on the water - I’m eager to help & learn. Thanks in advance to everyone and I look forward to the wealth of expertise and knowledge this group may offer!

·
Wannabe Sailor!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Denverd0n! I appreciate the reply and this is good information, I just looked at Sailing Florida’s website and it’s not too far from me. Good luck on the search for the new boat, would love to discuss what your looking for in a boat, and what are the must haves vs nice to haves from your past experience. In addition reputable/affordable marinas etc. Let’s stay in touch if your up for it, Ill be happy to pick up the bar/restaurant tab at a place of your choosing! I live in S. Tampa. Rick

·
Registered
526 Posts
+1 for Sailing Florida. I haven't used them but some friends have taken classes there and speak highly of them.

Check out Davis Islands Yacht Club Thursday night racing. They are super friendly and will get you on a boat at any experience level.
https://www.diyc.org/racing/thursday-night-racing

I sail out of MacDill AFB. Unfortunately down for some refitting, but would be happy to take you out when I get my issues sorted.

·
Wannabe Sailor!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phil, thank you so much for the great information and I’ll follow up on the DIYC. I’m about a half mile from MacDill, and 5 min from Davis Island. I hope you get your issues sorted quickly & expensively!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Phil, thank you so much for the great information and I’ll follow up on the DIYC. I’m about a half mile from MacDill, and 5 min from Davis Island. I hope you get your issues sorted quickly & expensively!
Thanks, It will be a few weeks. Cutting out rotted bulkheads and tabbing in new. It's hot, messy, and expensive. But, when I'm done she'll be stronger than new. It's all part of the learning.

I'll PM you my contact info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts