SailNet Community banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Alright folks, lets dial it back. Whether a first time poster or not, all members are to be treated with respect. And whatever you may thing about a first time poster, those of you who are long time contributors should know that Personal attacks are not allowed within the forum rules.

Jus' Say'n.

Jeff
Whoooa! Since when does saying that a post lacks credibility become a personal attack. Jeff, there was only one personal attack here and it's obvious which one it was.

Geoff

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,095 Posts
Alright folks, lets dial it back. Whether a first time poster or not, all members are to be treated with respect. And whatever you may thing about a first time poster, those of you who are long time contributors should know that Personal attacks are not allowed within the forum rules.

Jus' Say'n.

Jeff
Wow, I believe this is the first time in seventeen years that I have had a post edited by a mod.

I did take a look at the forum rules, and I noted this prohibited behavior:

* Join this forum and use it to berate a vendor, dealer or manufacturer.

The thinking behind this rule is why I have often in the past commented on one-time-posters whose only post is to reopen a long dead thread to say something good about a vendor...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a mainsail from Precision Sails and was disappointed with the size. I gave them all the spec's and pictures of my mast and boom but they cut the sail short on both the head and the clew. Furthermore, I have no slugs which should ride in the boom track.To give you an idea of what it looks like, I have a Tanzer 26 and the sail looks like its made for a Tanzer 22. My advise to all, always buy local if you can. Living in Montreal and buying in Vancouver was really not smart on my part.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I bought a mainsail from Precision Sails and was disappointed with the size. I gave them all the spec's and pictures of my mast and boom but they cut the sail short on both the head and the clew. Furthermore, I have no slugs which should ride in the boom track.To give you an idea of what it looks like, I have a Tanzer 26 and the sail looks like its made for a Tanzer 22. My advise to all, always buy local if you can. Living in Montreal and buying in Vancouver was really not smart on my part.

They should rectify that! Have you talked to them?

·
Sailnet Vendor
170 Posts
Are you sure that the luff and foot are too short? Sometimes, to a untrained eye, the sail looks too short compared to the mast and boom, but looks can be deceiving.

Usually the headboard of the main at least 8 to 12 ( or more) inches below the top of the mast. Often, the boom is significantly longer than the foot of the Mainsail, especially on boats with end boom sheeting. The Tanzer 26 Mainsal should have a luff of not longer than 25.25 feet and a foot of less than 10.25 feet. What does the new mainsail measure ( from edge to edge, not grommet to grommet) ?

Also, the lack of slugs all along the foot isn’t a bad thing, unless you specifically ordered slugs. Having slugs on the foot is rare for a boat like the Tanzer. Originally, most mainsails from that era had a bolt rope on the foot. But for the last few decades, 99% of all mainsails have been built with a loose foot, and are attached only at the clew and tack. That makes it easier to get the shape you want by adjusting the outhaul.

Judy B
Sailmaker

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
You say you gave them all the specs....where did those specs come from? Please tell me you didn't just take them off a spec sheet!

The thing about ordering from a local sailmaker is that they will come down to your boat and measure the rig beforehand. That is the only way to make sure the sail will fit.

When you order a sail online the sailmaker is depending on the buyer to make those measurements. If the buyer just took the numbers off a spec sheet without verifying they are correct, or just measured his rig wrong then it's not really the sailmaker fault.

As for the foot, it is not normal to have multiple slugs along the foot. If it is loose footed it will have a single slug at the clew. If there are no slugs then it probably has a foot rope intended to slide into the slot on the boom. These are details that should be discussed when ordering the sail.

Having said that, most reputable sailmaker will try to make it right if you give them the chance.

I would suggest that you take photos of the sail hoisted, and measure the sail. Give them a chance to fix it before you go online and complain about them! Mistakes happen, it's how a company responds to those mistakes that matters!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ordered a mainsail from precision a season and a half ago. they made it exactly the way I requested, even though I was a bit naive and ordered it as big I can possibly make it (I told them to make it exactly to my measurements). It ended up working out perfectly even though in retrospect I probably would have made it a few inches smaller. Of course I took my own measurements. First time ordering a sail. I was really happy with the sail so I ordered a 135% Genoa the next season. This one was also really high quality.
I was not naive and that I knew this was an order to China and the shipping time was going to be a while. It took over two months, and that was my expectation.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts