SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a really interesting model that NOAA created for predicting sea nettles (the creatures that make my kids cry). Apparently it is all about the salinity of the water. Unfortunately, it does not bode well for the Annapolis area.

Click on a specific zone and it shows animated detail.

Ocean Prediction Center Sea Nettle Guidance

A home remedy for jellyfish stings - powdered meat tenderizer.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
powdered meat tenderizer? really?

awesome thanks

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
What they failed to tell everyone on that site is that if the Chesapeake Bay were not so overwhelmed with excessive nutrients, sea nettles would rare. I'm old enough to remember when sea nettles showed up once every 7 to 10 years - that was it. At that time, the early 1950s, when the did arrive near Chesapeake Beach, the mouth of the Patapsco River and Magothy River, the public beaches there put up sea nettle nets to protect those swimming at the beaches.

Also, back then, you could stand in chest deep water at Chesapeake Beach and North Beach and clearly see your feet on the sandy bottom. Today, that same area is so polluted you cannot see your feet in ankle deep water.

According to an old EPA press release, the waters where those public beaches were situation are no longer suitable for direct, human recreational contact, and it's not because of the sea nettles.

Think about it,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
man I use it all the time cooking at home down here...its used EVERYWHERE jajaja

wonder what it is that helps?

maybe papaya extract? I notice most meat tenderizers use the enzymes of papaya and or pineapple

cheers

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
There here in full force and with the massive rains last week we had a massive die off with literally thousands of floaters

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I remember back in '72 when I was a teenager (yes, I'm that old) when hurricane Camille or Agnes (can't remember which) came thru and all that fresh water just washed away ALL the nettles. Not one could be found in the lower Potomac the whole month of August. We had a great month of playing in the water.
That was in the days when the nettle population was at least 20 times what it is today. They were so thick, you thought you could walk across the water on them.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
so like said it hasall to do with the salinity then...

good stuff

·
Registered
847 Posts
Adolph's Meat Tenderizer.
Every salt water boat should have some on board.
Acid vs. alkali.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
do you know which protein?

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
I thought urine was the cure? Meat tenderizer is a bit more appealing though.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
336 Posts
Interesting thread. I have only been to the Chesapeake once, a couple of years ago when I brought a boat south from CT to FL. After an overnight sail from DE we got to the Chesapeake looking forward to a refreshing swim. Dropped anchor near the mouth of the bay but looked in the water and saw hundreds of jelly fish. Had no idea what species and how nasty so decided not to try it. Was very disappointed.

So how bad is a sting from this species. A mild sting , tolerable or very painful?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
did you see that friends episode? jjajaja

I beleive myth busters slightly debunked that theory

Im all for tenderizer too though! jajajaja

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
they are very common down here, foget when the big season is for them I beleive its in the dry months(would verify this thread)

I know people who have had very very very painfull and bad experences with rashes often lasting weeks...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts