SailNet Community banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Pragmatically if you had a decent test with a low false negative rate (not the ~20% for some of current ones) and were negative and same with all crew and it was done as close as possible before leaving risks during the voyage would be negligible. Ideally would test everyone on the boat for both viral RNA and presence of antibodies. That way know risks to people when they get to the new environment as well as knowing occupants weren’t vectors.

Spent today with a fellow outbound owner and SDR member. SDR usually does a Maine cruise. Folks from Chessie commonly come up. OCC does something similar. However Maine is still requesting full quarantine for new arrivals or a documented negative test. For many this is an out of pocket expense if the test comes back negative. crazy times. Got a president who doesn’t understand if percentage of positive tests increases virus is winning regardless of number of tests done (yes you can think of ridiculously unlikely scenarios where that wouldn’t be true). Got insurance companies and states unwilling to pay for negative tests. Got citizens who still think the whole thing is not a big deal. That being the case think Europeans and Canadians will be cruising the Caribbean but US citizens won’t be.

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Stranded in paradise... We have been cruising the Caribbean now for 3 years. We are currently stuck in Grenada. During the pandemic, we have seen how the islands have reacted to it and come to understand how the governments enact regulations to keeping their citizens safe. I for one believe the ex-British islands did a fantastic job in keeping Covid in check and are now Covid free. The French islands and Trinidad are still wrestling with cases of Covid. One can get into politics and medical this and that but in the end of things, the ex-British isles followed the WHO protocols to the nth degree and it worked; Lock-down, curfew, quarantine , masks, social distance and most important contact tracing with quarantine. 3 months into it, things are open within reason and no fear of Covid.
We and about 500 or more cruisers here in Grenada are trying to figure out how to get home since the Prime Minister said last Saturday that the airport will be close for the unforeseeable future. The long and short of it, they don't want to live with Covid in their society. The politicians care about the people and their well being. Tourist, cruisers and business will not be welcomed as long as countries where passengers come from have Covid. Since foreign governments (mainly USA) and airlines refuse to comply with protocols that Caricom ( Caribbean islands UN) set-up, flight in and out will be limited to charter and repatriation flights for the time being.
If and when we head back home, I give the 2020-21 cruising season about 15% chance of happening. With the continuation of the first wave in US and the supposedly coming of the second wave this fall/winter, I do not see them opening up the borders for cruisers. The borders are NOT open now without restrictions, quarantine or not allowed to enter at all (majority of them), even with Covid contained. I cannot imagine governments would cater to the cruising community's wishes of free border crossings. They simply are not doing that now. We are very small part of the islands GNP. We would not be in Grenada if it wasn't for one person, the manager here in Port Louis Marina. The government did not want us here but she formed a Maritime Association and convinced the government to let us in with many restrictions. The rest of the Caribbean islands feel the same way about us. We are not worth the risk with Covid still active. When we haul out, I don't expect to see Moondance for 18 months.
In the meantime, enjoying paradise; fresh garden fruits and vegetables fresh bread/croissants, homemade chocolates, beautiful sunsets and rum drinks with our friends. Cheers

Melissa
SV Moondance

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Good to hear from you. Miss you and can’t wait for you to continue to teach my bride. She misses you as well. Ironic an accomplished airline pilot has their life turned upside down by the lack of flights. Look forward to a FaceTime or WhatsApp

·
12,139 Posts
Stranded in paradise... We have been cruising the Caribbean now for 3 years. We are currently stuck in Grenada. During the pandemic, we have seen how the islands have reacted to it and come to understand how the governments enact regulations to keeping their citizens safe. I for one believe the ex-British islands did a fantastic job in keeping Covid in check and are now Covid free. The French islands and Trinidad are still wrestling with cases of Covid. One can get into politics and medical this and that but in the end of things, the ex-British isles followed the WHO protocols to the nth degree and it worked; Lock-down, curfew, quarantine , masks, social distance and most important contact tracing with quarantine. 3 months into it, things are open within reason and no fear of Covid.
We and about 500 or more cruisers here in Grenada are trying to figure out how to get home since the Prime Minister said last Saturday that the airport will be close for the unforeseeable future. The long and short of it, they don't want to live with Covid in their society. The politicians care about the people and their well being. Tourist, cruisers and business will not be welcomed as long as countries where passengers come from have Covid. Since foreign governments (mainly USA) and airlines refuse to comply with protocols that Caricom ( Caribbean islands UN) set-up, flight in and out will be limited to charter and repatriation flights for the time being.
If and when we head back home, I give the 2020-21 cruising season about 15% chance of happening. With the continuation of the first wave in US and the supposedly coming of the second wave this fall/winter, I do not see them opening up the borders for cruisers. The borders are NOT open now without restrictions, quarantine or not allowed to enter at all (majority of them), even with Covid contained. I cannot imagine governments would cater to the cruising community's wishes of free border crossings. They simply are not doing that now. We are very small part of the islands GNP. We would not be in Grenada if it wasn't for one person, the manager here in Port Louis Marina. The government did not want us here but she formed a Maritime Association and convinced the government to let us in with many restrictions. The rest of the Caribbean islands feel the same way about us. We are not worth the risk with Covid still active. When we haul out, I don't expect to see Moondance for 18 months.
In the meantime, enjoying paradise; fresh garden fruits and vegetables fresh bread/croissants, homemade chocolates, beautiful sunsets and rum drinks with our friends. Cheers

Melissa
SV Moondance
Paints a picture of a country who cares about its citizens and protecting them. Even though small with limited ports of entry they are willing to put correct restrictions in and not pander to the money. Stay safe

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch
41 - 44 of 44 Posts