SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rebecca
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you DIY's who've had the joy of installing a new shaft bearing, I have an odd question. I'm getting thin on funds and instead of buying more hardware to install my Cutless (the usual making a press out of threaded rod, heavy fender washers, etc.), wondering if I can use tools I already have.
Mainly, has anyone installed a bearing with a slide hammer? I can sort of picture it working, but not sure about control over the force being straight & even? It's only a 4" long bearing for a 1" shaft. Slide hammer is 5 pounds.
Maybe I'm just being dumb and cheaping out...but if anyone has done this, I'd love to hear your experience.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
I'd be worried that your slide hammer might crush your brand new Cutless bearing (another $60 to replace).

My recollection is that I may have spent just over $60 on hardware like: threaded rod, washers, nuts & box wrench (open ended wrenches do not apply enough torque evenly and I rounded quite a few bolts using these). You may also need to add some length onto your wrench for "extra" torque.

Besides freezing the bearing before pressing it in you can put some dish soap on the outside of the bearing. Helps lubricate the penetration (did I just say that?).

Here is my account on this job: 2011, November 30th. Begin drive train rebuild | Odalisque

Your book looks interesting. May be summer reading for me.

·
Rebecca
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Deep freeze- excellent! I knew I'd rustle up some smarter people:-D
Caleb, your link is awesome. Great photos...nice work on a really nice boat. (Heh heh, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a dirty mind...)
Will visit hardware store tomorrow, keep the lid on the hammer, and beg the boss for some overtime.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
use fine thread rod. you will get a lot more force on the bearing. put anti seize or high pressure grease on the threads

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
birdie,

Patience, persistence, cursing, a lot of beer and right tools and equipment and it will be done.

I've been noticing how some Bayfield models seem to emphasize the bowsprit. Very classic look.
The port light configuration on your B 32' is nearly identical to my old '67 Tartan 27'.
At least your boat is younger than mine.

Also, to overbored's point, you wont lose anything by lubricating the threaded rod so the nuts ride easier. And fine thread. Good point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts