SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20200911_151856832_HDR.jpg

My boat is an Irwin Mini-ton... 21 footer.
The previous owner stenciled/painted the asian characters onto the hull as seen in the picture. He told me what it meant/said... but it was such a stupid name (to me at least) that I did not store the meaning in my long term memory.
The paint he used for the name is very good paint. It's really stuck on there. I want to get it off somehow... but don't know how other than sanding it off. Oh how I wished he'd used vinyl lettering.
The only thing I've thought of is to sand the characters off and then repaint the area... maybe a wide yellow angled stripe from the shear line to the water line.
Or get a large vinyl decal to cover the sanded area.
Ideas/ Suggestions welcome.

Oh.. one person said to come up with my own name of the boat and then tell others that's what the characters mean. That's a decent idea...until I meet someone who can translate it.

·
Master Mariner
8,959 Posts
Oven cleaner is the best way to remove a painted name from gelcoat.

Reactions: olson34

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oven cleaner is the best way to remove a painted name from gelcoat.
I probably should have also mentioned... I think the previous owner painted the hull also... so the dark green isn't gelcoat.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
You might try a paint remover. I have used CitriStrip from the big box stores. Smells good enough to drink but don't. I would try a very small area working it with a Q-tip gently as to remove the top layer only. Once you have a small area of the top paint removed try polishing that area to match the green hull. I suggest you view a few videos on YouTube on oil painting restorations to see how the experts do it. Or try google image translate to fine the meaning. ;)

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,417 Posts
Yeah, the CitriStrip stuff is gentle enough that you might be able to get the name off without taking the underlying paint. A tiny experimental spot might tell.

Reactions: baywater

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
The characters mean:

Probably "Local Strongman" or "Nouveau Riche"

From Marjorie... French who speaks Chinese...

Mark

Reactions: KurtPH

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Getting those characters off without damaging the underlying paint is going to be almost impossible. I suspect you are looking at covering up that area with something else or repainting the hull.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
If the hull is painted... can the graphics be removed and then re paint and blend into old color... admittedly very difficult...

or perhaps apply a wrap with new boat name covering old???

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The characters mean:

Probably "Local Strongman" or "Nouveau Riche"

From Marjorie... French who speaks Chinese...

Mark
I can't tell if you are saying these translations in jest or not (and if you are, that's cool). And if so, those attempted translations are not what the PO told me. I still can't recall what the PO's translation was... but I know it was not either one of yours. But thanks for the effort.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the hull is painted... can the graphics be removed and then re paint and blend into old color... admittedly very difficult...

or perhaps apply a wrap with new boat name covering old???
The graphics are painted on.. they are NOT vinyl stickers.

I don't see how paint remover could dissolve the yellow characters without affecting the underlying green.

As suggested, I might test a small spot.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,182 Posts
What finish is on the boat now, and how the name was painted are the key questions.

If you can figure out or find out what paint was used on the hull, you should be able to redo any mess that you might make removing the name. See if you can find out.

If the hull finish mirror smooth, it was probably professionally sprayed, with a hard finish like Awlgrip or Imron, and these paints have a limited number of colors. If you can't get accurate information from the PO, get the paint color charts and and see if if you can find the match.

If its a sprayed hard finish, you may be able to remove the name without harming the underlying paint. Otherwise you will need to that that section re-sprayed, which should not show ten feet away.

Try these threads:
Removing Awlgrip lettering on hull

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Paint strippers don't know which paints you want to remove and which paints you want to leave. They'll remove or at least damage any paint they touch.

I bought a used boat that has (to my thinking) an odd name. I considered changing it, but decided to keep it, and now I'm glad. Why? Because it's odd enough to be memorable. Everyone recognizes the boat by name, and they smile approvingly when they hear it. When they ask about it, I tell them the PO named it and I decided to not change it, and they get it. It isn't important. What matters is how we perform on the race course. That's what will get respect.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Moonbeamestate already mentioned oven cleaner but about 25 years ago someone told me the same thing and that's what the artist I hired to paint the new name on my boats transom used. I can't offer any technique as to how to use it, but just know it was used successfully on my boat.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,417 Posts
Oven cleaner works--I've used it--but that was on a gelcoat hull, not painted.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Can you get a vinyl patch with the new name that covers over all the old lettering? The old name may have been painted on because in calligraphy it is important to do the brush strokes in the proper order and with the proper technique. This shows in the paint afterwards, so people who know can tell how well it was done.

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
I can't tell if you are saying these translations in jest or not (and if you are, that's cool). And if so, those attempted translations are not what the PO told me. I still can't recall what the PO's translation was... but I know it was not either one of yours. But thanks for the effort.
Sorry it wasnt correct. No it wasnt in jest.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It seems unlikely that you’ll get the name off without damaging the paint underneath.

I think I’d find out what the translation is, interpret it in a way that I liked and try to embrace it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts