SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think it matters how or if you can get the name off. Even if you did a perfect job, the dark hull has undoubtedly UV faded to slight degree and beneath the letters will be original. That will be very noticeable, especially with dark colors. You're doomed to sanding it down and repainting anyway, so no need to be delicate about it.

If the dark color is a LP paint, like Awlgrip, you really need a very good pro to do an unnoticeable repair. LP paints cure, with a clear layer that "floats" to the top. They are extremely durable and shiny, but because the cured product is multi layer (clear on top of color) they are difficult to feather in a repair. Can be done. The pro needs to perfectly match the slightly UV faded color too, so right out of the can never works.

If the underying paint is an acrylic, it would damage more easily, but much easier to touch up, as it's color throughout.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Hey,

When I bought my boat the previous owner had the name painted on. The boat is alwgripped blue and the name was in multiple colors. I didn't care for the name so I removed it. It was very difficult to do but I found that acetone worked the best. Apply to a rag and rub rub rub, Stop rubbing when the painted on name was removed and be careful to not remove too much of the blue awlgrip underneath. It was a slow painful process that came out OK but not great. I definitely damaged some of the awlgrip in spots and if you looke closely you can still see an outline of the original name. From 10' away you can't notice it but from close up you can.

I applied the name name with vinyl. The next owner will thank me.

Original name

New name

Barry

·
7 Posts
Moonbeamestate already mentioned oven cleaner but about 25 years ago someone told me the same thing and that's what the artist I hired to paint the new name on my boats transom used. I can't offer any technique as to how to use it, but just know it was used successfully on my boat.
Although it won't help the OP, the way to use oven cleaner is to just brush it on and let it sit for 15 mins, then wipe the cleaner and painted letters off. Then repeat until all the color from the painted letters is removed. The oven cleaner will give white gel coat a slightly yellow tint from the alkalinity of the oven cleaner. Paint on white vinegar (acetic acid) and the gel coat returns to it's white color again. Then, the issue is the gelcoat under the old letters will have more surface shine because it isn't oxidized so a good compounding and polish will restore it all again ready for the next name.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Aesthetically, the Chinese character looks nice. You could leave it there and regard it as a mere decoration, rather than the name. Aft of it you could name the boat "Goddess" in a matching color. People would assume that the Chinese character means "Goddess." When you're on the VHF, you could identify your boat as Goddess, instead of mumbling something incoherently inscrutable.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,415 Posts
Hey,

When I bought my boat the previous owner had the name painted on. The boat is alwgripped blue and the name was in multiple colors. I didn't care for the name so I removed it. It was very difficult to do but I found that acetone worked the best. Apply to a rag and rub rub rub, Stop rubbing when the painted on name was removed and be careful to not remove too much of the blue awlgrip underneath. It was a slow painful process that came out OK but not great. I definitely damaged some of the awlgrip in spots and if you looke closely you can still see an outline of the original name. From 10' away you can't notice it but from close up you can.

I applied the name name with vinyl. The next owner will thank me.

Original name

View attachment 138437

New name

View attachment 138438

Barry
Much better name! Those of us that share the sea with you thank you for the change. - Seriously!!

Google suggests that this means "Religion"

·
Dakota Lee
102 Posts
Verify the paint used for both name and hull. Check with paint store to determine if rubbing compound will take off name and if the hull paint is suitable for overall compounding and follow up polishing. Hope like heck that name is only on one side.
V/r

Pete

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Verify the paint used for both name and hull. Check with paint store to determine if rubbing compound will take off name and if the hull paint is suitable for overall compounding and follow up polishing. Hope like heck that name is only on one side.
V/r

Pete
The name is on BOTH sides and the STERN, too. Ugh.

Thanks again for all of the input. I'll probably try some of the suggestions on a small spot and see how its goes.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
I'll probably try some of the suggestions on a small spot and see how its goes.
As I think I said above, even if you get it off, you're going to be able to see it ghosted into the color, because everything around it has faded imperceptibly.

Have you ever had a very dark blue pair of socks you thought were black, until they were lying right next to something that was really black. Just an analogy.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Why not design and order 3 "wraps" which covers the old????

·
Administrator
7,570 Posts
This might sound stupid.....

Instead of destroying the paintwork could you use the old graphics in some new design?

There was some idiotic TV show where idiots who got the wrong tattoos could get a great designer to use the underlying tattoo and add something to make it much more acceptable.

Could a talented graphic designer use the gold to make some type of Nike Swoosh that works to your liking? Or use your new boat name in gold covering it?

Anyway, creativity is out there and maybe a lot cheaper and more fun and totally repainting the boat.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
PO named my boat 'American Pie' with LARGE vinyl lettering on the aft quarter both sides. Had the vinyl lettering removed but the name was still an obvious readable shadow on the gel coat. Seriously listened to the song which grew on me but is something like 8 minutes. Decided there was a reason that I always liked the song. Bit the bullet and had new vinyl done with 'Ms American Pie'.

The color of your boat and the Chinese characters are very striking and memorable and damned good looking. Even if the characters say 'the owner is an ass' would keep them because it looks so good.

·
Barquito
3,661 Posts
Agree with others. You will not be able to remove the yellow without wrecking the green. Sand it off and repaint that side of the boat. Sorry.

·
Barquito
3,661 Posts
If the hull is in good condition, and the paint is adhering to the hull, then re-painting won't be too painful. You could just put a bold diagonal strip over the name.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't tell if you are saying these translations in jest or not (and if you are, that's cool). And if so, those attempted translations are not what the PO told me. I still can't recall what the PO's translation was... but I know it was not either one of yours. But thanks for the effort.
It's sort of translated ambiguously but probably means Local Tycoon, or just Tycoon. MarkofSeaLife isn't completely off.

I'm a native Mandarin speaker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 138428
My boat is an Irwin Mini-ton... 21 footer.
The previous owner stenciled/painted the asian characters onto the hull as seen in the picture. He told me what it meant/said... but it was such a stupid name (to me at least) that I did not store the meaning in my long term memory.
The paint he used for the name is very good paint. It's really stuck on there. I want to get it off somehow... but don't know how other than sanding it off. Oh how I wished he'd used vinyl lettering.
The only thing I've thought of is to sand the characters off and then repaint the area... maybe a wide yellow angled stripe from the shear line to the water line.
Or get a large vinyl decal to cover the sanded area.
Ideas/ Suggestions welcome.

Oh.. one person said to come up with my own name of the boat and then tell others that's what the characters mean. That's a decent idea...until I meet someone who can translate it.
Compound will leave a raised outline behind. Get a good rubber 3M sanding block with 600 grit and wet sand using a large sponge and lots of water. It will go quickly. Move up to 1000 grit after most of the lettering is removed to facilitate polishing. There may be a subtle color difference where the lettering was as it kept that area from direct sunlight.

·
HANUMAN
2,838 Posts
View attachment 138428
The previous owner stenciled/painted the asian characters onto the hull as seen in the picture. He told me what it meant/said... but it was such a stupid name (to me at least) that I did not store the meaning in my long term memory.
The paint he used for the name is very good paint. It's really stuck on there. I want to get it off somehow... but don't know how other than sanding it off. Oh how I wished he'd used vinyl lettering.
The only thing I've thought of is to sand the characters off and then repaint the area... maybe a wide yellow angled stripe from the shear line to the water line.

Oh.. one person said to come up with my own name of the boat and then tell others that's what the characters mean. That's a decent idea...until I meet someone who can translate it.
The translation likely means something along the lines of a local with money (like a well to do farmer) or new money as in the tongue in cheek way to have a bit of money but the rich folk still think you are a peasant.
I’d go with vinyl graphics/name over it. Or just leave it and work on a translation that sort of fits as it’s just two characters without much context. But hey, it’s a story and a conversation starter. My last boat was named LAGNIAPPE... the radio conversations had been enough to change the name. Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Changing the name of the boat is bad luck. May want to think twice about that. Even though you don’t know what it means, it looks cool. And the Chinese are already running the country, so you will get top dollar after they buy up all our land and move over here and take over. If you must change it, a purging and renaming ceremony must be completed before the name is revealed or anything with the new name enters the boat. Then you will have to paint the entire hull...which is not really that bad to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 138428

I had a similar issue. I had a graphics place make a vinyl sticker with the name I wanted with a background that was large enough to cover it. My issue was the name painted on the gel coat had been there so long that even after removing the paint there was a discoloration and a slightly raised imprint in the gel coat that you could still see the name. A vinyl sticker with the new name applied over it took care of the problem.
hope this helps.
George

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 138428

My daughter, the Chinese/asian studies major, confirms the meaning "local tyrant" or "nouveau riche".

21 - 40 of 56 Posts