SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know asking for what a both is worth can be an exercise in fuility...One person will say it's worth every penny and how much is your enjoyment worth to you. The next will say they wouldn't pay more than $5 dollars and how they just bought a brand new such and such for $4...I'm looking for some opinions in the middle. I'm going tomorrow to see a 1987 compac 16. The owner is asking for $4700, I looked at the 87 16's that sold on sailing texas and this seems a bit high...Here are the photos and some specs...what do you think?

- 16 feet LOA ; 6 foot beam
- 1100 pounds
- bow sprit w/roller (for anchoring)
- cuddy cabin, sleeps 2 adults
- fixed shoal keel; 18 inch draft; good for gunkholing
- tanbark (maroon) main and jib; good condition
- new rigging lines; wire topping lift; reefing gear
- halyards led to cockpit
- electrical and lights throughout; battery w/case
- new spring loaded, adjustable motor mount for easy lifting
- boarding ladder on stern
- Hutch galvanized trailer (good condition) with many upgrades and
folding tongue for garage storage
- owners manual

Extras
- bimini
- ida foil rudder
- cowl vent and round hatch on bow deck
- new tires, bearing buddies and more on trailer
- mast crutch
- ablative bottom paint
- refinished interior
- vinyl cockpit cushions
- new tiller and sail covers

BOAT: asking price for boat alone : $3900 or best offer

MOTOR: 2015 Nissan 4hp Longshaft : $750 (new $1100)
(5 yr warranty with papers and low hours)

BOAT and MOTOR : $4650

_DSC0026 by Dom, on Flickr

_DSC0019 by Dom, on Flickr

_DSC0015 by Dom, on Flickr

_DSC0009 by Dom, on Flickr

·
Registered
22,430 Posts
Com-Pac seem to hold their value compared to most other boats of their size. If it's in very good condition, that price does not surprise me, particularly with a trailer. Although, the seller would typically expect you would make an offer below asking price. I'm guess their price point isn't that far below this.

Nice little package (I've been tempted to get one of these for a lake near the house). Hope it works out and you enjoy her for many years.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,002 Posts
I've seen early 80s C-16s with trailers in only OK shape selling at $3000... so that price seems pretty in line if its in nearly as nice a shape as it looks.

The PRICE frankly is only as much as anyone is willing to pay... Others here will argue otherwise, but that's indisputable fact. If you offer $3500, and nobody else has offered for quite some time on the market.. then it might be enough.

The C-16 is one of my favorite cruisy little trailerables.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,309 Posts
I've seen early 80s C-16s with trailers in only OK shape selling at $3000... so that price seems pretty in line if its in nearly as nice a shape as it looks.

The PRICE frankly is only as much as anyone is willing to pay... Others here will argue otherwise, but that's indisputable fact. If you offer $3500, and nobody else has offered for quite some time on the market.. then it might be enough.

The C-16 is one of my favorite cruisy little trailerables.
The PRICE frankly is only as much as anyone is willing to pay... AT A SPECIFIC POINT IN TIME.

I have said before that a boat in bristol condition is worth far more than a boat needing ANY repairs.

If it is as nice as it looks in these pictures, would you be disappointed if someone else bought the boat out from you by offering $1000 more than you did? How about $500? How about $200...

If I were interested, and it is perfect I'd either offer full asking, or $3900 for boat, trailer and motor. I would also make clear that my offer would expire 48 hours from when you extend it, and once the offer is off the table, you are not coming back at ANY price.

Good luck, and I hope that helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it i s in the exact condition as displayed in the pictures give him the money and take the boat. Finding clean used boats is an exercise in futility.

I know asking for what a both is worth can be an exercise in fuility...One person will say it's worth every penny and how much is your enjoyment worth to you. The next will say they wouldn't pay more than $5 dollars and how they just bought a brand new such and such for $4...I'm looking for some opinions in the middle. I'm going tomorrow to see a 1987 compac 16. The owner is asking for $4700, I looked at the 87 16's that sold on sailing texas and this seems a bit high...Here are the photos and some specs...what do you think?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently restored a Compac 16 and sold it for close to the asking price on the boat you are going to look at. From the pics I can see a lot of owner added extras such as stainless bow pulpit, bimini top, bow hatch, jib sheet traveler, foiled rudder, etc. The owner is asking a decent price for what the boat seems to offer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts