SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it might be a useful thread to have a list of projects and what they cost or were quoted.

Sometimes when we look over our boat we can see project that needs doing and it might be useful to have a least a general idea of what others have paid for similar jobs.

When buying a boat it is useful to be able to quickly add up the potential cost of refitting a candidate boat.

Obviously the costs are highly dependent on the circumstances so please include the following information if possible.

Type of Job: Engine replace, standing rigging replace, cutlass bearing replace etc.

Size of boat:

Year:

Location of work, country, state and type of workers, marine or inland etc.

Scope of work: If engine did it include transmission, tanks, gauges etc. If cushions did it include foam.

Brand if appropriate:

How much labor did you do yourself, was it worth it in the end.

What made the job particularly expensive or cheap. Did you get a free or ebay part.

Did you have to buy, borrow or use special tools

For DIY projects please try to include time and misc. parts. For painting projects for example I always forget the price of sandpaper, tyvak suits etc that often cost as much as the paint.

Also mention ancillary costs like haul-out and storage if it is appropriate.

Anything else you feel would be helpful to compare the cost of your project with other similar ones.

I know I'm asking for a lot so post what you have time for. The more through it is the more useful.

It would be great if you want to discuss one particular project at length to start a new thread if you don't mind.

If you score a super cheap upgrade due to special skills or dumpster luck please identify it as such so a novice doesn't think your cheap price is what they are likely to find.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start with a dock-mates job done last week.

New Bimini, 2014, Catalina 34
Connecticut; marine canvas shop
1" Stainless frame only, installed by professional; $600
He quoted $600 extra for the cover but the lady figured she could make if for less as she has a sewing machine and the skills.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
drive train: cutless bearing, shaft, shaft log hose etc

We did this job on our boat several years ago in the Hudson Valley of NY. Started out as a simple cutless bearing replacement but ended up going with a new shaft as well.

Special tools: steering wheel puller (for separating shaft & flange)
prop puller tool (borrowed from our club)
threaded rod with plenty of washers & bolts (for forcing new bearing in) (spent about $50 on all this)
sawzall with fresh metal blade (for cutting old shaft in half)

Materials: - new 3/16" GFU packing ($25)
- cutless bearing ($60 deepblueyachtsupply.com)
- shaft log hose ($15 hamilton marine.com)
- new hose clamps for hose ($25 hamilton as above)
(all the above sourced from online vendors)
- new shaft from prop shop in Newburgh NY ($250)
Total cash outlay for this project: ~$425

We had already paid for our winter haul so this was not extra.
What took the most time was driving to the prop shop with our old shaft, prop & flange, then retrieving our new stuff at least a month later (they had moved to a new location and I was not in a hurry). Our flange & prop were reusable which saved several $$$.
We did all the labor which I would estimate at 2 - 3 days total, more counting trips to prop shop.
I would think that a price of $1500 to have someone else do it all would not be out of line.

Tricks learned: cutting shaft in boat made extracting the shaft incredibly easy. Trying to force those parts apart after being mated together after 40+ years would not have been fun in the engine compartment.
Use hot soapy water to soak the end of the shaft log hose makes it go onto the shaft log a breeze.

Boat: Tartan 27', 1967

http://www.odalisque.us/2011/12/2011-november-30th-begin-drive-train-rebuild/

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
It pays to troll the sailing forums.
I picked up a cooling water pump from a fellow sailor for $100 + postage (retail $280 + shipping).
It was the MMI 502 water pump which replaces most Oberdorfer pumps. The MMI 502 has no grease cap fitting to forget about.
Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts

·
Registered
870 Posts
My projects, 1979 Contessa 26. Showing cost and my hours (profesional hours included in cost).

Re-wire - ~$1000 + 100 hrs
-All interior wiring except engine panel
-Cost includes crimper, terminals, wires, battery switch, battery cabling, interior lights, deck fitting etc.

Mast wiring/lighting ~$1000
-LED masthead anchor, steaming, spreader + wiring labor

New pintles/gudgeons - ~$6500
-Cast bronze, added a 3rd pair, custom welding and fiberglass work needed to make them fit

New head/plumbing - ~$800 + ~20 hrs
-Head, hoses, whale pump, strainer, etc

Other estimates I've gotten from the yard:

Deck painting: ~10k
Deck + hull painting ~$15k

·
Registered
207 Posts
Im having new curtains made for my boat a Freedom 33 cat ketch. I got two quotes for the curtain panels. These are small curtains ,to cover the each of the 9 portholes on the deckhouse sides. Each panel is 12" x 11" and there are two per porthole so a total of 18 panels. These are very simple curtains , no pleats, just a pocket to slide a 1/2" varnished wood dowel curtain rode through. They are lined with simple muslim lioning though the curtain material itself was very expensive Over 100.00PER YARD ! It is the same as I used for my cushions upholstery.
The two quotes for the labor only to make the curtain panels (material not included) was 1) $25.00 /panel by a friend who does rehupolstery for a living. thinking she was overcharging me I went to local canvas/sail/upholstery loft and got a quote. Quote 2) $ 48.00/panel ....
I think Ill learn to sew!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to a guy who was quoted 50k for a new engine on a 45' sailboat.
The actual bill came in significantly higher. Probably 10 to 20k of extras.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Dave,

An excellent and useful thread...

Job 1
New 2 drawer Isotherm freezer.
New 2 drawer Isotherm refrigerator.

100 hours of tearing our, cutting out, reframing, finish carpentry and electrical work...

Total cost $4,700.

Job 2
Two new A/C's about 50 hours of work. Hardest thing was a day in my wife's closet building a new frame and doing the wiring.

Total cost about $4,500

Job 3
New main sheet traveler and sheet tackle about 15 hours.

Total cost $1,000

Job 4
New very large turning blocks with teak mounting blocks for a 2,000 sq ft spinnaker about 20 hours

Total cost about $700

I do 95% of the work myself otherwise you could add about 50-100% to the cost of the jobs.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which engine?
I'm assuming the guy with the 50k quote was getting a Yanmar.

Apparently what makes the bill so high is the extras.
On my other friends boat the price of the yanmar the cummings and the rebuild of the cummings was all in the 13 to 16 k range. The new cummings and rebuild of the old was almost the same the new Yanmar was a couple k more.

The difference is that with the Yanmar the transmission had to be changed even though it was new and prop because it is a faster engine and the engine beds due to the size.

Then add in a few weeks of 100 dollar an hour mechanics and you get to 50k really quick. You get to add wiring, gauges, exhaust system etc and it starts to creep over even the 50k.

At least in the northeast if you are an owner that is not trying to everything yourself.

Reactions: MedSailor

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I just talked to a guy who was quoted 50k for a new engine on a 45' sailboat.
The actual bill came in significantly higher. Probably 10 to 20k of extras.
That is absolutely insane...

I would think anyone capable of doing that job should have been capable of providing a reasonably accurate estimate of what all those "Extras" would have amounted to, beforehand...

UFB...

The guy would be doing the boating community a service, if he identified who those $100/hr Rip-Off Artists are...

:)

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
my perkins was under 4000 usd to repair , complete, with rebuild of entire fuel delivery system, yes, high pressure pump inclusive, all in new condition, installed and with new guages, wiring, yada yada.
sorry to hear you guys cannot find the right mechanics....
will be creating a fuel tank of air next--probably fiberglass air, augmented with my current water tanks, and replacing those with newer smaller tanks.
will keep someone posted somewhere.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
That is absolutely insane...

I would think anyone capable of doing that job should have been capable of providing a reasonably accurate estimate of what all those "Extras" would have amounted to, beforehand...

UFB...

The guy would be doing the boating community a service, if he identified who those $100/hr Rip-Off Artists are...

:)
Do you have any idea what a heavy equipment diesel mechanic makes? Even assuming a non-maritime job figure about $40-50/hr. Add in roughly $22/hr for longshore insurance coverage (and yes a marine diesel mechanic is covered by LS/HW) and if a company only charges $75/hr they are breaking even, and still haven't dealt with any other benefits or costs of employment.

$100/hr may be a little high depending on where in the country you are, but it certainly isn't a rip off.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Do you have any idea what a heavy equipment diesel mechanic makes? Even assuming a non-maritime job figure about $40-50/hr. Add in roughly $22/hr for longshore insurance coverage (and yes a marine diesel mechanic is covered by LS/HW) and if a company only charges $75/hr they are breaking even, and still haven't dealt with any other benefits or costs of employment.

$100/hr may be a little high depending on where in the country you are, but it certainly isn't a rip off.
Perhaps I should have been clearer, I have no issue with whatever RATE a diesel mechanic is getting... I've seen guys do jobs on some boats where even @ $100+/hr, they were still being underpaid... :)

By "Rip-Off Artists", I was referring to the practice of adding on the quoted $10-20K worth of "extras", over and above the original estimate for the job - which still sounds extremely high to me, to begin with...

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Perhaps I should have been clearer, I have no issue with whatever RATE a diesel mechanic is getting... I've seen guys do jobs on some boats where even @ $100+/hr, they were still being underpaid... :)

By "Rip-Off Artists", I was referring to the practice of adding on the quoted $10-20K worth of "extras", over and above the original estimate for the job - which still sounds extremely high to me, to begin with...
Fair enough. Personally I am a big fan of not to exceede quotes for work like this.

Unknown stuff when starting the job is one thing (ie we found a rotten stringer after pulling the engine), but I hate the "well it just took longer" phone calls.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1985 Nauticat 40’

$14K re-attache binnacle that was vandalized including redoing electric and hydraulic lines and repairing damaged teak.

$25 K for engine investigation, removal, rebuild, and re-install of Ford Lehman Engine.
Engine was filled with salt water due to a failed vent (pisser) in the raw water riser that allowed water to siphon into the engine on shutdown.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/168849-i-hate-boats.html

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
Complete 100% Rewire CS-36T both AC & DC systems:

Materials - $3780.00 (at my cost) - Wire, terminals, AC/DC panel, shunts, battery monitor, teak for custom swing out door, polycarbonate for panel inset, GFCI outlets, waterproof j-boxes, breakers, fuses, fuse holders, busbars, terminal strips, wire ties, Weld-Mount, heat shrink etc. etc..

Labor - 162 Hours

LifePO4 Custom Battery Installation CS-36T:

4 - 400Ah Winston Cells = $2000.00
Shipping Cells = $250.00 (well packed wooden crate truck freight)
Tyco EV200 Contactor = $79.00 (this is the load cut relay)
House Power BMS Board = $75.00 (Clean Power Auto LLC.)
Cell Modules = $54.00 (Clean Power Auto LLC.)
Aluminum for end plates/compression = $64.00
3/8" Polycarbonate = $27.00
Anodizing Aluminum Case = $60.00 (minimum charge)
Nuts, Bolts, Threaded Rod, Washers etc. = $12.80
Bus Bar = $4.80 (Blue Sea)
Switches, Alarm Buzzer etc. $44.00
Terminals = $9.50
High Voltage Cut Relays $24.00
Misc. = $200.00
Total - $2704.10

Things I already had that would also be needed:

Balmar Regulator for alternator - $329.00
Numerous System Fuses $200.00
Solar Controller - $340.00
Class T Fuse & Holder = $60.00
Benchtop DC Power Supply (for balancing the cells) = $329.00
160A alternator with serpentine pulley kit = $1500.00

Labor:

This is an involved process and I am not counting my hours of "testing" that I did. I conducted at least 55-60 cycling tests and re-charges to discern how I wanted to best charge this bank. The bank was run in testing for months before installing it in the boat.

Unpacking and setting cells up for balancing - 2.5 hours
Balancing Cells - 11 hours (did both a top and bottom balance and decided on top)
Building custom aluminum cell compression case - 7.5 hours
Copper bus bar + & - take off jumpers - 1 hour
Wiring & building BMS box - 6.5 hours
Wiring cell modules and volt sense harness - 2.5 hours
System design/design changes - 6 hours (not including research)
Building new battery mount shelf in vessel - 11.25 hours (complete new battery location)
Running 2/0 wire and volt sense wire to battery distribution area - 4.5 hours
Re-wiring battery distribution for charge bus, load bus, BMS, regulator etc. - 6.5 hours
Wiring & programming MC-614 alternator regulator - 1.75 hours
Wiring / programming new solar controller - 1 hour
Wiring battery charger cut off relay - .5 hours
Installing new reserve bank (AGM) - 1 hour
Removing temp sensor for battery charger - .25 hours
Re-programming battery monitor - .1 hour

Total Labor 65-70 hours

·
Administrator
7,533 Posts
Thats 230 hours of labor @ $90 per hour.... $20,000

1 - 20 of 35 Posts