SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm near making an offer on a 1981 C&C 32'. Fair condition, but needs some cosmetic work. I was hoping you guys here might be able to help me price out of some the repairs needed...
1) Re-varnish cabin sole (ok, no price needed, I can do this myself.. maybe $200 in varnish?)
2) New running rigging through out
3) New Main sail (can even be used one, I'm not racing)
4) New canvas (dodger, sail cover, helm cover)
5) New cabin cushions (or just recover)
6) New cockpit cushions
7) Repaint hull above waterline (alot of scratches here and there, and one chip down to fiberglass on the leading edge of the bow - maybe touched the dock or mooring buoy)

I think thats it... otherwise the boat seems to be in good shape - and I can pick it up for under $15k.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
1. Use Ultimate Sole not varnish...35 a quart and two quarts needed.
2. ???
3. You can get an exact quote instantly from FX sails...1000 bucks for a basic cruising main...more for different fabrics, full battens, racing sails etc.
4. ???If frames are already in place and you have old ones for pattern...a guess would be $1500
5. ??
6.??
7. Around $4-5k--not worth it unless you are capable and have the time to do it yourself.

ALL of these things sound very superficial and NOT what I would expect from a survey of a 30 year old boat.
If you have not had a survey done and an engine analysis...don't worry about the above list. You won't be spending your money on superficial stuff!! :D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Don't varnish the cabin sole. Use Ultimate Sole instead. Varnish is high maintenance and slipperier than ice when wet. :)

Pricing running rigging and sails for a C&C 32 can be gotten at several on-line vendors. Try cajun rigging for the running rigging kit and fx sails for the main.

Try sailrite for to get ball park pricing for the dodger, sail cover and pedestal cover.

Talk to an upholstery shop about the cabin cushions.

Try bottom siders fro a rough price on the cockpit cushions.

Repainting the hull is pretty expensive. Most of the cost is the labor, and most of the labor is the prep work. If possible, you should do the prepwork yourself. Also, painting the topsides isn't all that difficult. Rolling and tipping can give excellent results, even if you've never done it before.

If you haven't gotten a survey, I'm guessing that you're going to find a lot more than just what you've listed wrong with the boat, since most of the ones I've seen listed are at least twice that price.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,111 Posts
If the floor looks to need refinishing, I expect you'll find it easier to install a new floor from scratch, than successfully getting discoloring out of older boards. The teak veneers are thin and don't take to too much sanding.
New cushions - $2500-3000.
Professional hull painting - Awlgrip - $150/200 per foot. For a nice boat like this I would say you should pay for professional work. If you do it yourself, unless you are very careful and very talented, the results will look, well, amateurish, which can be Ok on a fixer-upper but I don't think you want your C&C to fall in that category. I don't think you'll find any good spray painters who will take any responsibility for the end results if you propose to do the prep work yourself.

Sounds to me like you already have about $15k of work, not a good start pre-survey. Before you bite on this boat, you might take a look at what you could get in a C&C 32 for $30K, you would be more likely to end up with a better boat for less money than buying a fixer-upper.

·
Registered
928 Posts
For about two grand you could be sailing (main and running rigging).
The rest you can do as needed.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
At a certain boat age it may make sense emotionally to go overboard with cosmetic items because you want the boat to look nice , BUT it becomes very difficult from a money standpoint as you will exceed any possible resale value

Case in point would be my 1981 J24 i could spend a fortune in hull mast and boom refinishing and it will still be and 8000 dollar boat :eek:

I try to use good sense and replace functional items like old standing rigging ,lifelines etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts