SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new tank, hose and primer bulb for my 6 HP outboard.

I notice that when I coil up the hose the bulb gets a kink in it.

Did they give me cheap bulb or is that what they typically do?
I've used others and don't remember this happening before.

Once it it in use an plugged it it straightens out pretty well but still seems to have a tendency to kink.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Probably sat a long time in the package in that position. If it works don't worry about it.

But given the choice I wouldn't pick the one kinked in the package, if that was the reason.

·
Registered
25,092 Posts
As long as the motor runs fine, while kinked (did you try that?), I wouldn't think its a technical problem.

However, its the sort of thing that would tweak my OCD forever. Was it an OEM hose or aftermarket. I'm guessing the latter.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.
I guess I'm not the only one who is bothered by little things.

You are right, it seems to work fine, just bugs me.
I just know it is going to crack early and cause me grief at the worst possible time.

It was the setup that came with a new Mercury 6HP outboard.

They must have picked the cheapest bulb they could find.

On a related note I don't like the fact that the hose has a fixed connection to the tank.
Isn't it better to have a snap fitting on both ends of the hose so you can have a spare hose all ready to just snap in?

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
On a related note I don't like the fact that the hose has a fixed connection to the tank.
Isn't it better to have a snap fitting on both ends of the hose so you can have a spare hose all ready to just snap in?
All the tanks and hoses I have seen (and sell) have a female threaded attachment on the tank to accept the fitting that matches the hose fitting, whether it be Mercury, Honda, Yamaha or any other brand.

This Moeller tank is an example:

I agree this is a better solution.

Did the tank come with an engine?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I've had many primer bulbs that kinked or collapsed in use. None gave any trouble. Eventually, one of the check-balls will stop seating (won't pump-up) or it will bet UV cracks, at which time you will replace it.

This does not matter. At all.

(By-the-way, they pump-up faster if the bulb is pointed flow-up, so air can clear by pumping through. Pumping downwards they often hold an air pocket and will not pump as well. This is true of many pump types.)

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
I just know it is going to crack early and cause me grief at the worst possible time.
That would be my biggest concern - early cracking. It's a new outboard. Ask the dealer to swap it out.

Some tanks come with a snap-on fitting and some with a barb. Like you I prefer a snap-on - it makes fueling easier, especially with a bolt-on fuel-water separator on the transom of the dinghy.

You do keep asking interesting questions.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
...On a related note I don't like the fact that the hose has a fixed connection to the tank.
Easy to fix. Just buy a pair of removable fittings - male to go into the tank, and female to go into the hose. Remove the current barb and replace with the removable ones.

I have three tanks for various boats - 3 gal, 6 gal, 9 gal - and I put identical Honda fittings on all three so that I can move my tanks around as needed. (Even though my 50 HP motor is not a Honda.) On the C250 I use the 3 gal tank for daysails, and the 3+6 gal tanks for cruising. (9 gal tank won't fit on the C250.)

Reactions: davidpm

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
The tank I got from Tohatsu has removable fittings on each end. On older OMC bulbs the bulb would collapse, due to contraction of the fuel left in it when cold? As soon as it was plugged in it came back to its original shape.

Maybe straighten out the hose with some tension on it & put a desk lamp near the bulb, not too close, & let it set for a few days? Or, don't roll the hose up so tight?

Paul T

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The tank I got from Tohatsu has removable fittings on each end. On older OMC bulbs the bulb would collapse, due to contraction of the fuel left in it when cold? As soon as it was plugged in it came back to its original shape....
Paul T
There are 2 reasons for collapse:

1. Fuel evaporated through the rubber. Though fuel hoses are required to be no-permeation, they are not zero. It is not fuel contraction.
2. The anti-siphon valve creates a little more restriction than the bulb can withstand. This is not a problem, as it does not block the flow, it just looks funny. The anti-siphon valve can stick or plug, which is a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.