·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Next time... a picture is worth a thousand words. Pull out your video camera.
If you've ever been in this situation, you know that a singlehanded captain has his hands full maneuvering the boat to avoid pitchpoling, pooping, going broach, etc. With a boat passing you at that speed, he is gone before you can get a camera out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you've ever been in this situation, you know that a singlehanded captain has his hands full maneuvering the boat to avoid pitchpoling, pooping, going broach, etc. With a boat passing you at that speed, he is gone before you can get a camera out.
My comment wasn't meant as a criticism, only a suggestion of what might be useful, and as a reminder of the same to myself. If such a situation can be seen developing, film the offender. Should you need to quickly set down the device while it is still recording, that indicates something as well.

Another example: some years ago I was approaching a high rise bridge on the ICW. Noticed some kids standing on top, in line with my direction of travel. Suspicious, I steered over to the left. They followed suit. I steered back to the right, and the kids did as well. When I passed under, one dropped a pebble or coin which hit the deck.

I resolved to pull out my camera if faced with this sort of situation. I think it would be particularly effective in a "waking" situation, especially if one were very obviously filming the event. I'll bet the offending boat would quickly drop his speed if he knew he was being caught on camera.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just to add a little levity to this. On my trip down the ICW with the wife a few years back we had only two really bad passing experiences. One in Florida and the other in N.C.

The N.C. one was priceless. We're putting down a canal about half a mile from a timed bridge. No rush, bridge won't open for 15 minuets when a 40 something searay comes flying past us and leaves us rocking through 60 degrees. Just after passing us he gets on the radio and asks the tender to open the bridge. The response was priceless!
Bridge tender "I'm surprised you weren't shot at"
Mr. searay "what do you mean?"
Bridge tender "If you left me rocking like you did that sailboat I would have shot at you and the bridge won't open for another 15 minuets"

61 - 67 of 67 Posts