SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what the hoops are that you have to jump through to get a private mooring installed. I know they exisist I am just wondering if anyone has done it in say the biloxi area or the texas coast? the last one I ran into that I knew was private was in Barnegate light, NJ

·
Registered
702 Posts
In some places you may need a permit like where I am all boats and moorings need matching permits so they can match the up if they break loose and to clear out abandoned moorings so look it up on your town website and other than than all you have to do is add the right size mooring and a sailboat =) cant think of any other things that may get in your way.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is something to think about, i was just wondering i would rather be on a morring ball than a marina. But its a personal thing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am just the same its is much nicer to have your own space in your own little harbor instead of a big marina.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree. Ive applied for a mooring in staten Island and was told Im #16 on the list, but hopefully with our economy some ppl will be up on land this year. I figure if I spent the 4k that a slip in a marina would cost me and spent it on solar panels and a wind turbine I might be able to be on my way to self sufficiency. That has alot of appeal to me.:thewave:

·
Registered
272 Posts
moorings

In our area the harbor master and local mooring association control the rights. I would start with the harbor master.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've not been able to find any mooring, or requlations for mooring in the California delta. I know of one couple who leased an island from BLM, but those deals are virtually non existant today. I found one small plot of land, and I do mean small (9K sq ft), for $150K, but then I'd have all the red tape for building a dock. That is if the coastal commision approved it.
If anyone knows of any resource for CA, I'd appreciate the information.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Contact the local harbor masters and ask what their requirements are. Maine Sail has a very good post on sizing chain and mooring connections that I'd recommend you read. Most moorings use undersized chain IMHO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That picture just lost you all your credibility. There is not nearly enough "stuff" on that cockpit for you to be a liveaboard. Where do you hang your stern anchor, cook hamburgers, or store your bicycle? Beautiful woodwork though...

·
Registered
702 Posts
He never said he's a liveaboard he said its on a dock in front of his "place" which is probably his house.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That picture just lost you all your credibility. There is not nearly enough "stuff" on that cockpit for you to be a liveaboard. Where do you hang your stern anchor, cook hamburgers, or store your bicycle? Beautiful woodwork though...
I pretty well live aboard during the summer. Stern anchor is in lazerette, barbeque is in lazerette (I don't leave it on the rail...it's a sailboat). I don't ride a bicycle, too busy sailing and when I'm not sailing I'm drinking rum :)

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
If you get a mooring be sure to dive down and check or replace the shackles & you may want to toss the worn first link. The shackle pins should be wired or otherwise prevented from opening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts