·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: jimgo and Minnesail

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
John and I hoofed it up to high ground to watch the launch. The penalties for interfering are not very much. I was surprised.

They're going to try another launch tonight at 6:22.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Announced there was an explosion on the launch pad...
That's TERRIBLE, on so many levels. Yes, it was unmanned, but I'm sure the ISS needed the supplies. It's not like they can call out to Domino's or something. :(

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
Yes. I was watching it on NASA TV. Thankfully it was un-manned and no one on the ground was hurt.

I've never watched NASA TV before. I'm rather surprised they're still showing pictures and broadcasting the mission control audio.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
I guess this is why they're so anal about making sure the range is clear:

·
Registered
80 Posts
The reason they stop launches when someone is in the flight path is if there is an accident anyone downwind of rocket fuel is at risk of getting a dose of very poisonous chemicals let alone rocket debris.

No idea how much it costs to scrub a launch and reschedule. Sometimes they have to wait until other scheduled launches are completed. Personnel are typically only there for preparation of the launch and the launch so any delays means paying them more money as well as hassles with extending housing rentals if possible and changing airline departure dates.

Since 9/11 security has been increased and those security officers typically don't have a sense of humor.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
considering how the rocket just blew up on lift off.. It was a good thing they scrubbed the original launch to get that boat out of the way. It would have been very ugly to be that close to that explosion

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
I was just about to move this thread to Off Topic when I found this:

Antares launch scrubbed due to boat in restricted zone. How did that happen? - CSMonitor.com

The window for Tuesday evening's launch is a scant 10 minutes long. To miss it means at least a 24-hour delay and the extra costs associated with it.

"We eat the cost; so does NASA. It's part of doing business," says Orbital Sciences spokesman Barron Beneski. "But it's not something we want to see happen."

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Off topic???

·
Noah's Bosun
236 Posts
As folks complain about vessels intruding on the "safety zone" during the launch, and the lack of punishment for violators, one might keep in mind the downrange safety zone for the ISS launches covers about 1400 sq miles, most of which is well beyond the jurisdictional range of the USCG and US govt territorial waters.

The notice to mariners for the launches requests, suggests, but cannot require.

We have been watching the Wallops launches during our time in Deltaville, and found the statement from Orbital Sciences regarding the failed launch a masterful piece of understatement...
We have had a vehicular anomaly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts