SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find another thread on this specific topic; hope I'm not duplicating...:

I'm in "pre-cruise mode" and attempting to prepare adequately. I think I've 'tuned-up' and equipped the boat with redundancy in most vital areas, but how do you locate ports/marinas with good fuel, water, dockage/anchorage, provisions, etc. and plan a trip accordingly?

I have benefited greatly from your experienced responses in many other threads - thank you...
And thanks to Sailnet for this Forum!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Could you share with use where you're planning to go and from where?

It makes a big difference.

East Coast I'd say Active Captain.

West Coast, I'd recommend cruising guides, since AC isn't as widely used here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply - planning to leave Belize, dive some islands then Roatan. From there, after topping-off, I'm headed for the Panama Canal and finally Golfito, Costa Rica.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Last year I was planning a Caribbean charter and relied heavily on forum knowledge, but it's worth noting that apps, like Navionics, show points of interest in port areas which could be a secondary source of info. By the way, your trip sounds awesome -- I just got my open water diving cert and Roatan is on the list of places to go in the next few years!

·
Full time cruiser
542 Posts
We have been at this for 8+ years and now planning year 9. Last year we were in Tunisia and headed to Turkey for the winter. But how to get there? Looking at where we had been and what we had missed we chose a route to Sicily Aeolia Islands, a long sail to Brindisi and then over to northern Albania and down the coast to Greece though the Greek Isl to Athens then down and up to Kusadasi for the winter.
It took a lot of time reading cruising guides, look at possible ports of call, where was weather protection and no weather protection, where was fuel ect - it took a few months of planning and lists of ports and then once underway a few changes had to be made due to weather, bad anchorages ect.

You must really do your homework. You need to get a masters degree on your route and not simply ask a few facts. If we did that we would have never gone to Albania which everyone over here said was awful and we found simply wonderful.

This year we are hoping to go to the Black Sea and the data is a bit short but that does not mean I can find a lot. I think after a winter of research I got a bit of an idea and have a route planned and plotted on OpenCPN - will it work? No idea until I try.

You have to do your own research and really understand where you are going and what is available. It takes a lot of time and effort to do it correctly. We have sailed most of what you are trying to do and there is a ton of information available so DO YOUR RESEARCH.

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
... but how do you locate ports/marinas with good fuel, water, dockage/anchorage, provisions, etc. and plan a trip accordingly?
In addition to your printed cruising guides, the Seven Seas Cruising Association has a lot of valuable information available to members by members out there cruising. The newsletter contains articles written by cruisers on ports of call around the globe. Usually their reports contain the information you are looking for. At various locations around the globe SSCA volunteers support Cruising Stations and are available to help you get around town, answer questions, etc. I am the Cruising Station for Rock Hall, MD should you ever find yourself in that part of the woods and another SailNet forum member, SVAuspicious does it for Annapolis, MD.

I am also in "pre-cruising" mode and find my membership in SSCA invaluable for planning and research. Forums are fantastic but getting to meet people face to face who are out there already is even better.

I also belong to The Cruising Association. A bit more expensive than SSCA but with a similar mission of cruisers helping cruisers (and wannabe cruisers).

Between the two of them most of my questions get answered and many times has more current information than a cruising guide published a year ago or more.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Anastasius
1 - 7 of 7 Posts