SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If you want to know the extent of the rotted core, you can drill holes into the core, at various distances from the edge of the hole. Doing it from underneath would be neater if you can. I just did this around a cleat that had been leaking. The transition from soft, dark, core to light, dry, sound core is obvious.

The next step is to remove rotted core. There might also be damp, but not yet rotted core, which your pilot holes will help to dry out.

I have the cleat re-installed with new bedding, but the pilot holes are still there and will not be filled for a year, to make sure the core around the cleat is dry.

The proper way to repair is to replace the rotted core with new. To do this you have to cut away either the inside, or outside, layer of fibreglass.

The slightly less proper way is to remove the rotted core from the edge with a knife or improvised tool, then fill the void with epoxy.

Either way, you need to get the damp but not rotted core dry before you go further.

You can get a fairly good idea of the extent of rotted core, by the sponginess you have noticed. The part that feels spongy has rotted and needs repair. I suspect this extends quite far, just from the fact you've noticed sponginess.

MarineTex is NOT suitable. It doesn't flow. It is best for small repairs of drill holes etc. What you need is quality marine epoxy like West System.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.