SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I screwed up large! I had a sawmill rip up all the wood for my toe rail and rub rail, but it is really thin (my fault, not theirs). If i drill holes for my bolts and then use a forstner bit to make a bigger hole for the screw head, there really is very little room to put a mahogany plug in to cover the bolt head. Any ideas how I could cover up the heads without it looking really amateurish?

Yes, the obvious answer is to rip more wood, but I really have to use the wood I have due to budget and time constraints. This is a real pain as i need to get this thing in the water this week, as my club inisists i do so or lose my slip!

All ideas welcome!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
simple. don't try to hide the screw heads! toe/rub rail should be removable anyway.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you are ashamed of your screws you could take a bit of your wood to HomeDepot and have some paint color matched that would make them disapear to the casual glance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with the don't hide the screws. Stain or leave the plug hanging over just round them out a bit and use an adhesive. You would still be able to pluck them off if need be.
Good Luck

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
uh... what kind of wood? white oak, mahogany or teak? You could cover all the screws with a strip of rubber, plastic or metal rub rail too. "To protect the rail that is to protect your boat"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts