SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Crealock 37
Joined
·
676 Posts
Reaction score
224
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lofrans Tigres windlass on Elnora. This year it has been having intermittent occurrences of not working.

When either lowering or raising the anchor electrically it will work fine one moment, not work the next. An example is I'll hit the "down" button to ease enough chain out to push the anchor over the roller is prep to lower it…when I again hit the down button nothing. Or maybe it will work fine as I lower the anchor putting out 50 or 100' of chain. I pause for a moment and when I again hit the switch it doesn't work. Other times it works without issue.

I have checked the breaker and it has not been tripped. I have reset it "just in case" but it doesn't cure the issue. On this past trip 3 times lowering the anchor it failed to work….the next morning it would work fine to raise the anchor. When it does fail I have tried both the up and down buttons…doesn't work using either button.

The windlass is a fairly recent installation, I believe it was installed in 2011. The wiring connections are clean, no corrosion. The switches sound/feel like they are working.

The trouble shooting section of the manual doesn't say much.

Any ideas? Or thoughts on how to test? I'm not great with electrical issues but can use a volt/ohm meter.

Thanks in advance.
 

· Crealock 37
Joined
·
676 Posts
Reaction score
224
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Checked voltages at the relay (13.5) and at the switches (13.5). Went on deck and ran the windlass a few times each direction, finally failed.

When it failed I could push the foot buttons and would not hear the relay click, if it was working I could hear the relay. Since I wasn't hearing the relay I figured the issue wasn't with the brushes/motor.

Re-checked voltages and found only 8-10 at the switches. With the assumption the connections in the wire to the switches was corroded I removed them, cleaned and corrosion proofed. Everything working fine now, voltage at switches 13.5 and so far no failure. Time will tell.

An oddity I found was the relay is an Imtra SPA10700. Right on the label it says 700-1700 watts. The Imtra SPA10700 that I found for sale and on the Imtra website spec the SPA 10700 at 500-1500 watts. Literature for the Tigres shows 1500 max.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top