SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a brand new Beneteau First 27.7S, while sailing upwind (close-hauled), with a riffed main and genoa, sail slides started coming off. The elasticated "ropes" that tied them on the sails started breaking.

What could I have done wrong, so as not to repeat it. This is the first time that such a thing happens to me.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Speaking with other owners of new Beneteau's with the same arrangement holding their slides, they said they encountered problems.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Since the boat is brand new I would guess that the hardware is not correct. Do you have a track in the mast or external track? Either way you will need to remove sail and take to a sailmaker to repair. Make sure you measure the track and get the right hardware. This should never happen sure, I have broken a few slugs but when I do I replace them all and save old ones as spares, got lots of spares:laugher I'm sure a sailmaker can help you here or you might be able to do the work yourself depending on scope.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
If the boat is BRAND NEW...sail slides should not be breaking--something is wrong. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
New boat, popping sail slides popping off, displeased visit to dealer is what I'd do. Shouldn't happen so there must be a problem (defect) to be resolved by brokerage.

·
Registered
652 Posts
[quote=Iannis;44151 What could I have done wrong,

Your first mistake was buying a Beneteau - just kidding. But it does sounds like you need a better way of attaching the sail slugs than some sort of elastic crap. Remember, elastic anything breaks down quickly in the sun - even bungee cords.
The slugs on Paloma's Hood main are held on by stainless steel hardware.

·
1,000 Posts
ALL WRONG..THE SLIDES DIDN't COME OFF THE TRACK..they detached from the sail

It's your fault really.

The newer sails, they are making now have elastic ties bettween the slides and the sails..

IT'S MEANT TO BE LIKE THAT!!!

It's to avoid stressing the sail when you reef...your mistake was that you should have secured the main clew better, so they would not be stressing out the elastics..the clew was probably too lose and allowed the elastics to strtch too far.

Now...the system is not one of my favorite systems, but as you can see, its better to break a few elastics than to damange the sail..

learn how to reef with that sail...they wil not fix it for you.

But my best recommnedation to you...Replace the elastics, with a few dyneem lines

Uncle Alex

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
It's to avoid stressing the sail when you reef...your mistake was that you should have secured the main clew better, so they would not be stressing out the elastics..the clew was probably too lose and allowed the elastics to strtch too far.

Uncle Alex
i would disagree with that, i would think its would be the halyard being too loose. also if its meant to lessen the strain on a reefed sail, then we have a problem we reef when the winds get to be too much, which means there is more stress on the sail in the first place. i would think you design the attachments to fail right before the sail would, and unless the wind is over 40 knots none of it should fail.

also he said others are having the same problem, it sounds like a design flaw

·
Registered
516 Posts
i would disagree with that, i would think its would be the halyard being too loose. also if its meant to lessen the strain on a reefed sail, then we have a problem we reef when the winds get to be too much, which means there is more stress on the sail in the first place. i would think you design the attachments to fail right before the sail would, and unless the wind is over 40 knots none of it should fail.

also he said others are having the same problem, it sounds like a design flaw
"unless the wind is over 40 knots none of it should fail"

Please explain this statement.Do i have different connectors on the sail for each reef point?I do not understand NONE...Holds breath.
Confused as useall
Mark

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
mark by none i meant the sail nor the slides should fail in pretty much anything under 40 knots. if you figure ( guess ) that they design the sails to hold up in 40 knot winds, the slides and the attachment should too.

edit none meaning nothing

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is that the new loose footed, loose luffed sail???

ALL WRONG..THE SLIDES DIDN't COME OFF THE TRACK..they detached from the sail

It's your fault really.

The newer sails, they are making now have elastic ties bettween the slides and the sails..

IT'S MEANT TO BE LIKE THAT!!!

Now...the system is not one of my favorite systems, but as you can see, its better to break a few elastics than to damange the sail..

learn how to reef with that sail...they wil not fix it for you.

But my best recommnedation to you...Replace the elastics, with a few dyneem lines

Uncle Alex

·
Registered
516 Posts
mark by none i meant the sail nor the slides should fail in pretty much anything under 40 knots. if you figure ( guess ) that they design the sails to hold up in 40 knot winds, the slides and the attachment should too.

edit none meaning nothing
thank you for the answer,
Thought i might of missed a new high teck tear away save your sail thing...
Drat,should probably patent said system......:D
Thought?
Mark

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Is that the new loose footed, loose luffed sail???
It will not matter which. The loads will still be the same around-abouts. What it sounds like is the webbing that hooks around the slides is weak (possibly UV or just cheap) are disintegrating. For a new boat (assuming 2 yrs or less) this should not happen and is simple "supplier provide inferior product" of which the bonus money spent on a new boat is the reason new has a warranty.

To the op - you are right to question this. My only experience is t=with Marc's Bennie which has in mast furling. Raise the issue with the dealer you purchased from - warranty should cover it - you didn't do anything wrong. Even inn 40 knots plus the sail should still rip to shreds before the webbing pulls away from the slugs. IMHO

·
Registered
396 Posts
In the spirit of full disclosure, I have had the same problem and it was a user error. I reefed. However, the dog-bone slipped off the horn at the mast. I did not notice this and the sail slugs "failed" when raising the sail. I agree with Giu and consider this a feature, not a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a defect.

Don't listen to them" you reefed wrong" ha. They are full of it. The sail slides bindings straps should hold up until you tear the seams apart. If they give you some lame excuse go get some good sail's form one of the good sail makers "North" or "UK" or one of the other name brand mfg of good sails. Sounds like some China Sails or some other real cheap brand sail to me. Then go talk to your dealer for a refund for the junk sails they sold you . I have an old Pearson and and it will break dried out sail slides before my old sail's start coming apart. Some seams get a little loose but no slides come loose form the sails when my old sails are driven hard. Reefing has nothing to do with it. The sails are poorly designed that you have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.