SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently launched our 87 Catalina 30 for the summer. When we dropped her in the water our Universal 25 refused to start. We have never had a problem before with the engine. The engine turns but has never fired once. We have rebuilt the starter, rewired the control panel, and changed filters. Both me and my mechanic are stumped.

Has this happend to anyone else???

·
Registered
734 Posts
The air must be bled from the "system" after opening the fuel system when you changed the filter. Also make sure the glow plugs are functional.

I''m not sure about the Universal engines but most marine engine have a circuit breaker located somewhere near the rear of the engine. Try to reset it if possible.

Your engine mechanic must have checked all of these thing out already, if not find a new one.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check to see the stop control is not engaged. See if you have a s/o valve between the diesel tank and lift pump that''s closed. The diesel needs only two things to operate - clean fuel and air. If it''s turning over and not firing I suspect a fuel problem - either a lack thereof or as the previous writer said, air is in the fuel line. I also would get a new mechanic and get one of the many excellent books that are available on trouble shooting diesels. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Yanmar YSM-12 with a bad starter. I had the starter tested and the verdict was a bad solenoid. I took it to a rebuild shop but the mech can''t locate a Yanmar solenoid for this model. The Yanmar site doesn''t list this engine anymore. Anybody know where i can get a solenoid or am I going to have to buy a whole new starter?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you have bled the system and your starter is turning your engine over, and it still doesn''t start, you may have bad fuel. Most of us use our engines as little as possible and that old diesel just sits there growing gunk and losing its ablility to fire. I have read and been told by my mechanic that old old fuel is a very common problem; enough so that it frustrates diesel mechanics because it is a problem most owners can remedy themselves. I would bet replacing your fuel and filters would solve your problem. and of course rebleed the system.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don''t know where you are but if you are near either Tampa or Fort Myers...both cities have "Auto Electric" type places that rebuild starters....and they are very good at what they do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts