SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mind helping people out with experience and recommendations on various products but is it unreasonable to expect the requester to have at least done a little product research? At least have a general idea about what brands and models you may be interested in. Without having some specifics, I feel like in many instances to be a waste of time to respond. Just a little rant.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Actually, sometimes the hardest part is learning what you're looking for, especially in sailing. There are SO many terms that it can be overwhelming and confusing. For example, needing a fiddle block or a block with a beckett, or a pelican clip, or one of those stupid shackles that I can never remember the name of, and that I can never get open, that you use to attach a halyard, or... So, sometimes I come here asking general questions because I really don't have a clue what I'm looking for.

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
I don't mind helping people out with experience and recommendations on various products but is it unreasonable to expect the requester to have at least done a little product research? ....
That can be said about more questions than just product inquiries. Many times I wonder why any number of people post a question here that could so easily be put into a search engine and the answer found sooner and with less "feedback."

On the other hand, in that same thread, occasionally someone will offer a suggestion for a better, more appropriate product for the job, or offer his or her experience with the product. In those cases the original poster gets more useful information.

On the other other hand, I think some people do look at these forums as visiting the local pub and turning to your friend on the next stool and asking "Hey, what do you think about..." rather than pulling out a smart phone and search engine.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,336 Posts
Donna, you seem to have three hands.... 'just say'un...

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
That extra appendage is a requirement for becoming a moderator. When I need to, I use both feet in chat.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Maybe she's a Motie.

(See/read "The Mote In God's Eye" and "The Gripping Hand", by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle)

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
But, we digress...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
But, we digress...
The digressions are why some of us are here. They're far more entertaining and informative than just browsing an on-line catalog. :)

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
The digressions are why some of us are here. They're far more entertaining and informative than just browsing an on-line catalog. :)
Touche.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts