SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
19,484 Posts
We have a couple of those on board.. they've been great.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
They look really nice, but why does a marine lighting company have to charge extra for "splash proof" at there prices it seems they should make them all splash proof, as that is something to expect on any boat.

By the way since you have them mounted in the galley, have you tried cooking under it yet? Some of the inexpensive lights make it hard to see how food is cooking, due to the limited range of colors that they light. Have you noticed this at all? Like hard to tell the level of brownness or how done meat is?

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
I had to click twice to see what you were talking about so I added some text to the thread title.

We have two Alpenglow lights that came with our boat. One above the galley and one above the nav station. I love them. I have not noticed a problem seeing the food I was cooking. The galley light has two settings, one brighter than the other. The nav light has two settings but the second is a red light.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,491 Posts
We purchased two Alpenglow light fixtures 10 years ago to replace aging OEM fixtures above our Navigation Station and the Galley counter. They are well made, very high quality and a good value. The duel intensity lights, both Red and White, are very useful with lower intensities for general lighting and higher for task lighting. The low intensity Red lighting is particularly useful when operating at night as there is enough light throughout the main cabin for a watch stander to see what he/she is doing below without compromising his/her night vision but not enough to disturb the off-watch who, on our boat, frequently sleep in the pilot berths to be near at hand should help be needed on deck.

FWIW...

·
Registered
898 Posts
The older Alpenglow lights, with CFL (mercury/florescent) were nice. Gave good light. Looked good. Had red LEDs too.

Most of the LED lights have been too harsh. These should be nice.

Note on the color: The color spectrum of white LED lamps should have the same 'quality' as older florescent lamps as the phosphor technology, that makes the white light from UV, is the same.

Reactions: zeehag

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
My experience of CFL and LED lighting is that the manufacturers throw words like "warm white" around with abandon. However, they find it harder to lie about the actual temperature specification. What you are looking for is a colour temperature of 2700 to 3100K. 2700K is very warm like an incandescent, but I find 3000 or thereabouts perfectly acceptable and great to read by.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I installed four Alpenglow LED overhead lights and an Alpenglow LED reading light in a boat I recently restored. The lights replaced incandescent dome lights. The Alpenglows feature two intensities in both white and red. Two Alpenlows replaced four dome lights in the main cabin and provide far more light.

The color of the white lighting is nearly indistinguishable from the incandescents. On high the intensity is brilliant and one is enough to light up the entire main cabin. On low the light is very much brighter than the incandescent dome lights.

The 10W incandescents drew 2/3A each. I usually burned three in the main cabin when guests were aboard at night. The Alpenglows draw 0.4A on high and 0.2A on low on white, and, on both red intensities, don't cause my battery monitor to change its reading (<0.1A change) when a light is switched on or off..

The reading light draws 0.4A.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My experience of CFL and LED lighting is that the manufacturers throw words like "warm white" around with abandon. However, they find it harder to lie about the actual temperature specification. What you are looking for is a colour temperature of 2700 to 3100K. 2700K is very warm like an incandescent, but I find 3000 or thereabouts perfectly acceptable and great to read by.
[GEEKMODE]You are correct. However, technically it would be a bit improper to spec a color temperature for a LED or CFL lamp. Color temperature refers to a "black body radiator" like an incandescent bulb. The spectrum of a LED or CFL is a lumpy mess of emissions that may appear to have a color temp but really does not. So maybe they are being honest.[\GEEKMODE]

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is some more info on the Alpenglow Overhead Lights Information . I'm sure it's in there some where , but I did not see where they charge extra for splash proof . I would say this though , if you get that much splash down below , you will have bigger problems than getting the Alpenglow wet . Another thing about price when I purchased my model was $119. now it's $144.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.