SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Raytheon RL series CP's

As I have just finished a writeup on the E series (the newer version) I thought I would also do a writeup on the older RL series. I do not think these are in production anymore. If I recall correctly, they were about the last marine product put out by Raytheon (which split off to become Raymarine). However, since many of the older boats still have these units, some review might be helpful to boat buyers when the vessel they are purchasing has these units. Please excuse any unintentional mistakes in this writeup since I have not actually used these for several years now.

RL 70 (CRC)

Would it be fair to call it fairly trend setting for its time? I think so. In my opinion, they held the market then and the Garmin products were not well developed or sought after... if they were even around. The leading competitor in my opinion was probably Furuno, whose specialization in radar, really carried them forward.

The RL series came in monochrome black and white, or color (if designated in C). The 70 stood for 7 inch display. They were taunted as truly daylight viewable - especially the color series. I put a color series at the Nav and had a B&W at the helm. This probably was a mistake because the color unit gave much better resolution. I always found the B&W unit difficult to see in direct daylight, though not as bad if it was not really bright. The color unit was by far superior.

Many of the functions that were present on that unit were carried over to the new E series. You can read above what those are. Some exceptions that I am aware of are the overlay for radar, camera, and weather ability. The course plotting and waypoint settings all work(ed) similar to the new E series. Those that are upgrading will easily navigate through the E/C series units.

I have to say that there are a few differences that make the E/C series units well superior to the older units. They are:

1) Daylight viewable. Much better resolution and brightness.

2) Scrolling. This is a big one. I always found the R series slow to scroll across the screen. The refresh took a while too.

3) The radar overlay. To the best of my knowledge, the old units did not do that. If I am wrong, I apologize.

4) MARPA. This stands for Mini Automatic Radar Plotting Aid. This is a function that was once only utilized by commercial ships to overlay up to X number of contacts (the E series is limited to 10, as I recall) and plot their course against your heading. They warn you if there is the potential for a collision. To the best of my knowledge, the old units would not do this. This is a nice function to have when crossing shipping lanes or on busy harbors.

5) AIS. Not sure they would take that input. I am not sure it was around then (which it may have been) but I had not heard of it.

I cannot think of a lot of other differences. I will say that I did have some problems early on with my units suddenly locking up. They ended up replacing the unit to get the problem resolved. Other than that, it worked fine and was an awesome tool to have on board.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Can we request Reviews here too?
I did a search on a furler unit Schaefer Snapfurl CF-700 and did not get many hits but I am sure there are a few out there that have this unit or something similar and could provide some feedback. It is for a smaller boat 24'-28' but I have noticed there are numerous owners in that range. I did a google search on it and found lots of supplier/sales info but not a lot in the way of customer reviews. Any experience with this unit out there?

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Wonder Clean Washing Machine

It was suggested that I post my review of the the Wonder clean, washing machine here.

About 1.5 years ago I bought the wonder clean for my boat. I have since sold the farm and I am living in an apartment. No washing machine. The wonder clean does a great job of cleaning cloths. Doesn't use a lot of water to wash, but I've found that it does take more water to rinse then they claim. Still, I have put very dirty jeans and a couple of golf shirts in it and they come out clean. Also ringing out the cloths when your done washing them, is a bit of a pain. The other downside on a boat is where to store it. I have a large cockpit locker, so it isn't a problem for me, but I could see how it could be a problem for others. All in all, one of the best $42.00 I've spent.

EDITED BY CD: I edited this simply to put the title in the subject line. That is all I changed.

·
Arf!
609 Posts
LED work light

I use110V work lights around the house but every second time I go to use one I manage to give it a little bump and the filament in the bulb goes. A real PITA. The last thing I need on the boat.

I discovered an all-LED work light from bulbtronics.com. It is a bit expensive ($35), but it is perfect for working in the engine compartment. It runs off 12VDC, 110AC or its own internal NiCads. There is plenty of light and I can never burn myself by touching it :) And there are no filaments !

Order code: LDTRUHHWRKLT Part # 0050154

[I have no affiliation with bulbtronics]

·
Arf!
609 Posts
Magic cloth....

I buy 4 or 5 everytime I go to the US...best stuff after the wheel
Related suggestion: there are now bath towels made from a similar material, available in REI and other camping stores. They are super-absorbent and roll up into a compact form. I carry one on my charter voyages, leaves room for a bottle in my bag. :D

Here is a link to the towel: http://www.rei.com/product/715990?vcat=REI_SEARCH

·
10,851 Posts
Yes yes...not magic as I said, MIRACLE...yes

sorry...but its the one CAm is pointing in his link.

Besides, I learnt of it here at Sailnet, I think him or SD recommended..not sure

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Boeshield T9, SailKote and LanoCote

Three must haves for the Sailor's toolkit are Boeshield T9, McLube SailKote and LanoCote.

Boeshield T9 is a great water displacing light lubricant that also protects metals from corrosion. I spray my tool boxes and their contents with T9 regularly to help protect the tools from corroding.

SailKote is the best dry film lubricant I've found and is good for coating sail tracks, genoa tracks, sail slugs, roller furling foils and many other items on a sailboat that need to slide or move freely, but you don't want to collect dirt. Unlike Boeshield T9, McLube SailKote won't attract dirt at all, and dries to a thin, almost invisible film. I use SailKote once a season or so on the mast mainsail track, genoa tracks, mainsheet traveler, and roller furling foil.

LanoCote is a paste that is made from anhydrous lanolin and works well as a galvanic isolation compound between aluminum and stainless steel. It also works quite well as an anti-galling/anti-siezing compound for use on stainless steel to stainless steel contact. The one downside to the stuff is it looks like baby cack... :) When commissioning my boat in the spring, I use LanoCote on all the screw-pin shackles on the boat, as well as most of the bimini/dodger fittings so I can be sure to take them apart at the end of the season.

BTW, The Seafit Miracle cloth is one product that most Sailnetters and Practical Sailor agree on. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
LED worklight, can't find it . . .

Pegasus:

I'd like to find this worklight, but can't seem to work my way through the Bulbtronics website to find it. Can you offer any other clues?

I think I've tried the order code in all product catories.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Mary

·
Arf!
609 Posts
Pegasus:

I'd like to find this worklight, but can't seem to work my way through the Bulbtronics website to find it. Can you offer any other clues?

I think I've tried the order code in all product catories.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Mary
Mary,

Their web site needs a professional rework! [I only found the work light by talking to a technical rep on the phone, discussing another subject.]

At the top of the main page is a search window. Select "bulbs/lamps" in the left panel of the search window, then enter the part number (0050154) in the right panel.

That should get you there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
LED worklight, got it!

Thanks, Pegasus. Santa will be taking care of this for me.

How's Port Jeff? And the LIRR? Used to ride into and out of the city from Greenlawn, or Huntington Station when the train didn't stop in Greenlawn.

Mary

·
Arf!
609 Posts
Thanks, Pegasus. Santa will be taking care of this for me.

How's Port Jeff? And the LIRR? Used to ride into and out of the city from Greenlawn, or Huntington Station when the train didn't stop in Greenlawn.

Mary
I spent 2 weeks commuting to/from Huntington this summer working on the "new" boat I had just purchased, trying to get her into shape for a launch -- in the middle of the summer heat wave... But that is no longer a problem :)

·
Spam, Food of the Seagods
212 Posts
This looks to be a great thread in time, thanks CD

I may be off topic a little.

First; this about the Radar was excellent for myself. As I been eyeballing a C-Series. :rolleyes:

I did want to comment on this quote;

The negative is that if you lose a HSB anywhere, you will basically lose everything. I had a cable come lose on my depth, and my CP's and radar both went into error mode. Luckily, it did not matter at the time and I tracked down the source. But in a storm offshore or making a narrow entrance at night I would have a heart attack. Also, they really should put in some type of a clip to hold the USB connections in place. Since they are held there by "pressure" alone, they are doomed to work out over time (in my opinion). Basically, can you spell maintenance?? Like I need something else to keep an eye on with my boat. - CD
Sometimes I use a little hot-melt (Glue gun stuff we find in Hobby Stores) to stick troublesome cables so they stay in place. It usually easy to un-stick with an untrimmed fingernail or whatever. I not say it will work for everyone, but, it has seemed to do well for myself. :p

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Fujinon FMTRC-SX Binoculars

By far, the best binocs I have ever used. They run around $700ish I think, which is not bad considering the quality. Outstanding eye relief and clarity. I compared them to the high-end steiners, and still feel they are a better product. Worth the money, and great for sky watching. My only small complaint is that the eye relief is so great, it is hard to make out the compass. But the field of vision more than makes up for it. For a great and relatively cheap set that has the compass (~$300), I suggest the lower end Fuji's or Steiners.

- CD

For those considering cruising, I will say that we used our bisnocs ALL THE TIME, especially at night. We would sit on the deck and watch the moon, stars, etc. These are a great pair for that... but don't lose them!!! We keep a cheaper pair at the cockpit (the lower end fujis) for most of our cockpit stuff while under way. Apparently the cheaper ones float... but I have not been able to bring myself to try it!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I see folks refering to prices at West Marine - I shop there too as I am a BoatUS member, but the best prices I have seen are right here in the SailNet store. I just bought a Garmin Map 76CSX for about $50 less than the best price I saw anywhere, including West Marine.
Always check here first!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
fein orbital

I just went up to the 8 inch Fein orbital from the six inch...size does matter.Works amazing and worth every penny.BTW there are different pads,if you are doing hull work go for the extra soft one/comes with a flat hard one.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Jack lines are very important for offshore work, That is why I have to tell you all that the flat west marine jack lines are probably not your best choice.
They are flat and your tether will slide nicely over them but they are too smooth and when wet are dangerous to step on. even with the best deck shoes they are kin to slipping on ice or oil.
so I have to give them two thumbs down.
I nearly busted my @## a couple of times because of them. safety gear shouldn't be dangerous

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
I will add that I use the Wichard FLAT jacklines and have been very happy with them. They are NOT at all slippery when wet and are made of NYLON rather than Polyester like the West Marine ones. They come with a nice heavy duty snap shackle at one end and plain to tie on a cleat at the other end.

21 - 40 of 127 Posts