SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a good bucket is a hard and fast requirement. We've seen the age-old debate regarding what's REALLY a blue-water bucket. And that's cool and everything - but it seems to me that there is a tangible middle ground between coastal buckets and true blue water buckets. Furthermore, in my blissful ignorance, I have no idea what an "aether plain" is, but Smacky says quite a few sailors inhabit this aether plain.

Sure you can buy a steel bucket, a stainless bucket, or a classic wooden bucket and take them wherever the hell you wanna.

But where exactly can you take a production plastic bucket from the likes of a Home Depot or a Lowes or even a Granger.....yes....even.....a plastic spackling bucket (dum-dum-duuuuum).

Do you make sure you never leave sight of land with these buckets? Do you keep land 50 miles away? 100 miles? Do you run from a 40 knot squall? Do you live in morbid fear of encountering a freak 50 knot storm - where you're cool with it using a heavily reinforced bucket from 1927? Can you "deal with" such storms with the "new fangled plastic" buckets - where with an old wooden bucket you just fill it with ice and keep a Dark-n-Stormy and a tiparillo in your hand?

So, the question I'd like to pose to the sailing world is this: From the standpoint of dealing with the outer limits of "coastal" cruising - what are the best production buckets and why?

Regards,
Brad

·
bell ringer
5,039 Posts
The best are the 1 gallon flexible black rubber ones with SS handle.

The larger ones hold too much water and you can not pull it back aboard while off shore, so the 1-gal ones work best. Also if you use a bucket for other things (like those that don't have a head etc) a large one encourages too infrequent emptying, and that becomes gross.

The metal and hard plastic ones result in chips, scrapes, broken toes etc while trying to handle when things are rough. But the the black flexible ones have some give.

And the SS handle just makes sense as it doesn't rust and is strong enough to not lose the bucket with a rope tied to it when you toss it over at 7 knots.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've always loved wood buckets...they're just so much work. Would you rather be using your bucket or working on your bucket and dreaming about using it?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've always loved wood buckets...they're just so much work. Would you rather be using your bucket or working on your bucket and dreaming about using it?
+1

·
Administrator
7,563 Posts
The rubber buckets are good. You get them from farm supply companies cos they use them with horse feed so ponys snout doesnt get hurt when they go crazy for their wild oats...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I like the plastic buckets that scoop-able kitty litter is sold in. That way I'm recycling, and the plastic doesn't hurt my gelcoat. If you need one, I have plenty.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've heard that the worst conditions for buckets can be found on the Great Lakes, not offshore. Is that true?

Here's a bucket of silver carp that were using to test electrofishing gear to stop the spread of Asian Carp.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: Tinman55

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Mark would like this bucket, even though it's not made of rubber.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: oysterman23

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
The rubber buckets are good. You get them from farm supply companies cos they use them with horse feed so ponys snout doesnt get hurt when they go crazy for their wild oats...
You've got it, they're virtually indestructible…

Cut out the bottom, replace it with clear plexi, and you have yourself a handy Look Bucket, as well…

·
Registered
621 Posts
Bought a production bucket built by pelagic,
had some good years with that bucket.
Used to peer in...
pee in...
puk in...
until chainplates rusted and was lost to neptune.
Lucky to escape with my pipkin!

·
That Drunk Guy
257 Posts

My favorite bucket of all time. She disappeared out of the cockpit one stormy night...then about a year later she showed up, floating next to the boat, upside down and covered with filth. She came home like a lost dog. But alas, she has gone again. Sometimes I sit staring out over the river wondering if she thinks about me, and hoping one day she will come home once more.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If it is good enough for Webb Chiles, then it is good enough for me. Stainless only for rough blue water..

·
That Drunk Guy
257 Posts
Of course the most important bucket is the cocktail bucket. Mine is white and holds three gallons. I wonder who had the first cocktail bucket to circumnavigate. I bet it was Chichester. But without ice would it count as a true cocktail-bucket-circumnavigation?

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Why is this thread in Cruising and Liveaboard? Us weekenders use buckets, too. Just because we don't have rough water or blue water buckets doesn't mean we're any less...er...less.

I have a dedicated plastic Li'l Red Bucket with my name on it for those times I over-indulge. I'd bet my life on it working in rough water, too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wooden buckets are beautiful. The trouble is, without a rigorous inspection an maintenance schedule (time and money) they will leak into your deck shoes leading to foot rot

1 - 20 of 92 Posts