SailNet Community banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Does anyone have opinions on Progressive. I've been with Boat US for the last two years and each year the premiums have increased by 11%. I've never had an accident or filed a claim ( knock knock). The insured value is $35k.

Boat US- $748
Progressive- $272

This was an over the phone quote. I read the rep the line by line coverage from my current policy. I'm waiting on the written quote and will scrutinize the fine print.

Anything to watch out for?

Thanks
Here in Hawaii with Progressive I pay about $500 per year for $35k boat value coverage and $300K liability (this is the amaunt required by boat harbor for moring). I have had no claims. I spoke with an agent and during the Japanese Tsunami 1 1/2 years ago she said they paid out quite a bit for boats damaged/sunk here in Hawaii (I took my boat to ride out the wave at sea).

Boat US will not insure me as my boat is over 10 years old (1978 year). I wonder what happens if you insure with Boat US your new boat- do they drop you at year 10?

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
I use Progressive. They will extend offshore coverage but not very far (150m). For inshore coverage they have the best rates by far. I investigated Erie insurance. They insure nothing at all away from the us shoreline. I would like to find a company that would insure a limited time in the Caribbean/Bahamas.

·
2,437 Posts
Boat US will not insure me as my boat is over 10 years old (1978 year). I wonder what happens if you insure with Boat US your new boat- do they drop you at year 10?
I have BoatUS and my boat is a 1995. That's umm, hold on while I take my shoes off, umm yep more than ten years! :D

I wonder if it has something to do with where you're at. Everything is blue water sailing for you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think you misunderstood something. You might want to check with them again! I bought my 1984 Islander in 2008 and insured it with BoatUS, and I remain with them today.

Tom

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I think you misunderstood something. You might want to check with them again! I bought my 1984 Islander in 2008 and insured it with BoatUS, and I remain with them today.

Tom
I have tried the Boat US online quote system and it says I need to contact an agent. I have contacted the Boat US agents several times over the last 2 years to try to get a quote- they tell me the same thing- will not insure a boat over 10 years old. Could be my location in hawaii as previous poster said. Funny thing is I joined Boat US for their unlimited towing. Out here a tow generally means and open ocean tow which could cost in the thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I have BoatUS and my boat is a 1995. That's umm, hold on while I take my shoes off, umm yep more than ten years! :D

I wonder if it has something to do with where you're at. Everything is blue water sailing for you.
Probably is due to location, out here a minor incident could easily mean a total boat loss, and there are not too many groundings that turn out well- no such thing as a soft grounding.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

Tom
Ok, just got off the phone with Boat US insurance-
They do not offer coverage in Hawaii.
They will send me a quote to insure the Boat in Annapolis MD.
So depending on the quote, may move to Annapolis.

I will post the qoute when I receive it.
Regards

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just went through the online quote/application process with Boat US last week. In my case I learned that they won't insure a boat over 10 years old without a survey within the past 18 months. I talked to an agent today in their insurance division. They had already sent my check back to me.

They want a value and condition survey. It can be in the water, no haulout required, but they had to have it even for a basic liability only policy. I decided to pass on them and went with Progressive, as they required no survey for the basic coverage I was seeking.

The Progressive online process was simple, straightforward and took less than 30 minutes from accessing the site to having insurance in place (paid on line) with coverage beginning today. Never had to call or talk to anyone.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 Westwind

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tommays
Just so I understand you . . . Boat US insured your Cal 29 initially without a survey less than 18 months prior to your initial application? How long ago did you take out your initial (not renewal) policy?
Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mobnets,
I think you misread what Tommays said. With a survey.

I have an 83 Hunter, my carrier insures it but, requires a survey every 5 years. Also there is a depreciation on the engine after 10(?) years if it hasn't been rebuilt.

Lets face it with an older boat 5 years can see a lot of deterioration if it's not maintained. I think a lot of insurers are that way.

My boat is a 1970 and boat-us has no problem with a survey

ON powerboats for example certain parts like the outdrive take a Depreciation at 15 years

·
Registered
147 Posts
saillife:
I may have. But then I may not have made myself clear to Tommays in the first place.

My comment was in response to an earlier poster that thought Boat US would not insure boats over 10 years old. My point was that Boat US will insure boats over 10 years old but not without a survey.

Boat US would have no problem with my 39 year-old boat either "with a survey" but I don't have a current one and didn't want to get one now. I've no doubt my 1973 will survey acceptably at this point in time, it did in 2007 when I bought it, and it is a better boat in all relevant areas now than it was then.

However, Boat US wants a survey current to within the past 18 months to start the policy initially. I don't necessarily think that's unreasonable, I just don't want to invest in a partial survey now, when my long-term plans call for a comprehensive, out of the water value and condition survey next spring before launch and after I complete some additional upgrading.

I didn't want hull coverage now, just better liability coverage than I've had the past 5 years. I got that from Progressive without a survey. After the comprehensive survey next I will have the documentation I need for adding other coverage to my policy next season.

Mobnets,
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

·
Just A Member
32 Posts
I have had Progressive for about 6 years now, they are gerat. Payments are about $160.00 a year for about 20k coverage. Had a break in two years ago when the boat was out of the water. They took vhf, garmin chartplotter, raido and speakers, and a few other things. The claims angent came the next day and wrote me a check the same day. I call that good customer service......

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Ok, just got off the phone with Boat US insurance-
They do not offer coverage in Hawaii.
They will send me a quote to insure the Boat in Annapolis MD.
So depending on the quote, may move to Annapolis.

I will post the qoute when I receive it.
Regards

Here it is a few days later and still no quote from Boat US. Maybe they have decided not to insure boats over 20 years old. Oh well- I'll stay with Progressive and in Hawaii. Was kinda getting the craving for some of them blue crabs and a cold Nati Bo.
Regards

21 - 35 of 35 Posts