SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to take off in 5-7 years (Caribbean, possibly Bermuda) and would like to purchase a boat that I could work on/upgrade for a few years myself. Have been sailing for 10 years on a Pearson 36 and done almost all upgrades myself - now looking for something slightly bigger.

Must be a "blue water" boat, 39-44'(?) (easily handled by 2), decent accomodations below, and well, sorry, but look good/have a little style (no ugly ducklings, please). Purchase budget up to $70K realizing I will need up to $35k(+) in upgrades and work.

Suggestions? Pearson Countess looks like a candidate, but not sure about this now ancient design and age of these...Have been aboard CAL 39's and these seem like a solid boat and possibility....

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd point out that your budget is a bit on the small side for a boat in that size range, especially one that is in fairly decent shape to begin with.

·
Administrator
9,161 Posts
The most obvious models that comes to mind is a Peterson 44 that needs tanks and deck work assuming that you would be able to provide the labor to remove the teak decks and glass over the sub-deck or else a Whitby 42 that needs work. .

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Jeff. Concern with Whitby 42 was the not so favorable review by Jack Horner I found (not impressed with sailing or construction - geez, did a Whitby do him wrong at some point?!). I like the looks and accomodations of these myself - never sailed one or looked at one closely.

Would love to find a Passport in my price range - good recommendation, thanks. Also found some Corbin 39's that might work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts