SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Never again will I take on such projects in the spring! I had all winter to do this work and it seems like it took forever!

Project 1; that grew into a major revamp; I had this Blue Seas ACR and this is what I wanted to do

Project 2;
Of course I realized I needed this to make the the whole project viable.

Well I started collecting things to do the complete install of the switch and relay, and started this thread; http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/134754-being-anl.html

project 3;

While being ANL I started thinking about warnings from Mainsail and the dangers of having an old ammeter on the engine panel. So I went for it! This thread covers that project!
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/139490-amega-gauge.html

Project 4;

"in for a penny..... I get the Leece Neville 90 amp alternator. that went quite easy and after the new pulley came we put that in in less then a half hour.

Project 5;

Not to be defeated by mechanical issues I saw that the engine coolant pump was leaking over the winter and decided to let that wait until the above projects were close to done. Well Today was the day that we did the pump! This is the thread on that!
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/136609-oh-oh-water-pump.html

Well it's all officially "done"
The coolant pump is quiet! the new Alt is quiet! The battery banks are truly isolated!

Here's how it all goes when boarding the boat.
Put shifter in neutral raise throttle to med speed (no tach) Press button for glow coils. 15- 30 now. used to take longer. (new wiring gotta love it) crank engine it comes to life!.
New Volt meter shows 12 volts for about 30 seconds and when the field coil in the new 90 amp alt comes to life the needle jumps to about 14.5 (it's not digital) I can actually hear the "load" when the Alt comes to life and starts charging.

As the engine warmed up I was ready to shut it down since I was sure the water heater would have a "bubble" in the heat exchanger. It did... burped the HW line at the water heater and tried again...added water... tried again.. burped one more time... Temp gauge drops to it's normal 150-160... The quiet is wonderful.. I mean one can still hear the diesel. Looking in on the charging relay .. the little LED is on combine, meaning the Alt is charging both banks.. and all this is happening while the ice box refrigeration is running for about 2-3 hrs.

When the engine is off the starting battery is not used and completely isolated from the house bank unless I put the new switch on "Combine" (I don't think I'll ever need to do that because the ACR will do it if necessary.

So... I'm ready to put the interior of the boat back in order and do some river sailing! Maybe even a few overnights at Tullytown cove.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL now I'm tired Gary

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
That's exactly the same battery combiner system I installed. So far it has worked well. I used the battery bypass terminal (optional) which is probably a good idea to eliminate starting surge. Good sailing!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
starting surge? battery bypass? Do tell more Murph! I sure do miss that old ammeter in all this.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
The center spade lug terminal on the battery combiner senses the start current coming out of the start switch/button and opens the circuit to the charging circuit so the starting spike doesn't burn out the diodes in an alternator. I think that feature is on all the Blue Sea combiners. It's under "optional connections" in the Pdf file from their website:http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/990170140.pdf

The schematics for these are pretty lousy as far as explaining the start isolation circuitry. Most of the schematics don't even show it and if they do, all they show is a graphic of an engine, not where to connect.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Murph thanks! but don't think I need it. the new Alt is self exciting and doesn't charge until the rpm is up way after the starter is done.

·
2,448 Posts
Never again will I take on such projects in the spring! I had all winter to do this work and it seems like it took forever!
Denise Congratulations !

Pop a beer you've earned it.

And you had to do it in the spring, NOBODY wanted to be at the yard working on a boat this winter...

·
Banned
12,357 Posts

Project 1; that grew into a major revamp; I had this Blue Seas ACR and this is what I wanted to do

Project 2;
Of course I realized I needed this to make the the whole project viable.

Well I started collecting things to do the complete install of the switch and relay, and started this thread; http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/134754-being-anl.html

project 3;

While being ANL I started thinking about warnings from Mainsail and the dangers of having an old ammeter on the engine panel. So I went for it! This thread covers that project!
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/139490-amega-gauge.html

Project 4;

"in for a penny..... I get the Leece Neville 90 amp alternator. that went quite easy and after the new pulley came we put that in in less then a half hour.

Project 5;

Not to be defeated by mechanical issues I saw that the engine coolant pump was leaking over the winter and decided to let that wait until the above projects were close to done. Well Today was the day that we did the pump! This is the thread on that!
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/136609-oh-oh-water-pump.html

Well it's all officially "done"
The coolant pump is quiet! the new Alt is quiet! The battery banks are truly isolated!

Here's how it all goes when boarding the boat.
Put shifter in neutral raise throttle to med speed (no tach) Press button for glow coils. 15- 30 now. used to take longer. (new wiring gotta love it) crank engine it comes to life!.
New Volt meter shows 12 volts for about 30 seconds and when the field coil in the new 90 amp alt comes to life the needle jumps to about 14.5 (it's not digital) I can actually hear the "load" when the Alt comes to life and starts charging.

As the engine warmed up I was ready to shut it down since I was sure the water heater would have a "bubble" in the heat exchanger. It did... burped the HW line at the water heater and tried again...added water... tried again.. burped one more time... Temp gauge drops to it's normal 150-160... The quiet is wonderful.. I mean one can still hear the diesel. Looking in on the charging relay .. the little LED is on combine, meaning the Alt is charging both banks.. and all this is happening while the ice box refrigeration is running for about 2-3 hrs.

When the engine is off the starting battery is not used and completely isolated from the house bank unless I put the new switch on "Combine" (I don't think I'll ever need to do that because the ACR will do it if necessary.

So... I'm ready to put the interior of the boat back in order and do some river sailing! Maybe even a few overnights at Tullytown cove.
Good show. I did the same equipment
Except I had a 24 switch BS panel, a couple of years ago. Big improvement from the original.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems the PO may not have been lying about changing out the engine. there was bluegreen paint under the white. (kubota's paint color.)

Thanks everyone for the kudos!

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Ok Denise, the bar's fully stocked, I put the sails on today, and it looks like a brand new boat - I'm ready to take you sailing in my part of the world. Bring that old codger you're married to as well.

Gary :cool:

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All systems go! Did 3 hr shakedown run today. engine, gauges, alt, acr, all seem to be working VERY WELL! I'm happy. the new coolant pump on the engine has made a huge difference in noise levels it's like a differen't boat!

The alternator finally started easing back on the charging voltage that was around 14.5 volts. after nearly 2 hrs it was reading about 13 volts. (still want a digital meter for that. )

Gary, thank you for the offer of a drink! I doubt I'll be down to the bay anytime soon however.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update! Was on my boat yesterday for a couple hours motoring with a friend that's never been on a sailboat.
I can't express how happy I am with all that work that we (mostly me) did on my boat engine and battery systems!

The ACR is great! engine batter is strong and the glow coils only need about 15 seconds (slow count) New 90amp alt takes over in about 30 seconds after start up. (you can actually here the slight change in load on the engine when it kicks in)
The new gauges work well! (still not using the new fuel gauge, will fix the sender in the fall)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.