SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
with all honesty the best method is useage...if that cant happen these other things will help at least prolong the heavy fouling

there was a thread a while ago offering numerous methods for props here

everything from beeswax, to grease to antifouling to pepper spray etc

nothing will beat useage...and thats a fact.

when cruising it just becomes a weekly or monthly maintenance things, basically anytime you have a swim take your gear down and do a little cleaning

having said that I would always mitigate the first growths anytime I hauled out by applying a small brush to the prop of antifouling

I like the idea of the petite spray...

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Petit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier 1792 - Spray Cans .... does wonders in keeping barnacles off the running gear
Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier
I wonder(given the zinc content) wether cold galvaniszing spray in a can for trailers and stuff, would offer some of the same benefiits for those of us that dont have access to these kinds of products?

i used the galvanising paint for my iron keel as a primer to spot paint, and later primed and antifouled

which is better than simply painting over bare iron...however I didnt put anything on the prop this time:)

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
yup...no way around it if you dont use it regularly

I just scraped my bottom after only 4 months or so since new paint, places already had barnacles and weeds and stuff...

warm murky estuary water grows like crazy!

peace

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.