SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a rebuilt engine and replaced the motor mounts. I realigned the shaft/transmission coupling. I had the boat (Catalina 25 WK) on the trailer. I have since put 6 hours on the engine and the vibration increased. Last week the boat was in the water so decided to re-look at the alignment of the shaft/transmission coupling. I could not get everything to align correctly. I then took a dial indicator to check the run out of the parts. The shaft and its coupling were within two thousands. The transmission coupling ears were out to each other over thirty thousands fore and aft. I built spacers to compensate for the mis-alignment and spent a couple of hours re-aligning. It is now smoother that it has ever been. Was worth the time and effort.

·
Super Moderator
6,803 Posts
I recently installed a rebuilt engine and replaced the motor mounts. I realigned the shaft/transmission coupling. I had the boat (Catalina 25 WK) on the trailer. I have since put 6 hours on the engine and the vibration increased. Last week the boat was in the water so decided to re-look at the alignment of the shaft/transmission coupling. I could not get everything to align correctly. I then took a dial indicator to check the run out of the parts. The shaft and its coupling were within two thousands. The transmission coupling ears were out to each other over thirty thousands fore and aft. I built spacers to compensate for the mis-alignment and spent a couple of hours re-aligning. It is now smoother that it has ever been. Was worth the time and effort.
Sounds like someone used the gearbox coupling to press off the shaft coupling..... One reason I very often advise cutting the shaft as opposed to using an expensive gear as a press tool..

This will make future alignments very difficult if not impossible. The shaft coupling should have almost no run out at all and should be properly fitted to the shaft then "faced".... If you have the space a flexible coupling such as a Bull Flex may be your only option..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts