SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
We are starting to provision for our sail to the Bahamas and are needing to find out about availability of propane.
Propane availability is not common but is usually sufficient for most yachts. Both the Explorer Charts and the Pavlidis Cruising Guides (both of which you should have aboard) list locations/cays where one can obtain refills within a day or so if not immediately. It would be wise to carry two tanks so that one can be off being refilled without loosing the use of your galley range during the interim. Alternately, an adapter for the use of disposable canisters with your system and a supply of same together with a re-fill adapter for those could be relied upon.

FWIW...

·
Registered
25,122 Posts
Two tanks is wise for more than one reason. Should you develop a leak in one, you aren't SOL. However, if all goes normally, even two 10 lb tanks should last a very long time in the Bahamas. Presumably there is no heating going on and limited desire for an oven. I would think you could get 6 months of regular stove top use. Put the spare on the rail, with a cover, if no room in your locker.

Are you cruising longer? If so, you should have plenty of time to track down a refill somewhere along the way. I like the idea of spare 1lb canisters. Just store them in the same vented locker and buy caps for the potentially leaky buggers. Never use them down below.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
.... I like the idea of spare 1lb canisters. Just store them in the same vented locker and buy caps for the potentially leaky buggers. Never use them down below.
Good suggestions. We carry several spare disposable canisters in our propane locker that are wrapped with a little foam packaging material and then sealed in vacuum pack food-saver bags to protect them from the environment. The bags also reveal whether there is any leakage from the canisters (by inflating) and if so, will contain the leakage for awhile (although with this storage method we've never experienced any leakages).

FWIW...

Reactions: Minnewaska

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Propane isn't even available here for home heating! ...Dale
I have been given to understand that in the Bahamas, most POL is supplied by Venezuela where there is no shortage.

·
Owl
295 Posts
"The bags also reveal whether there is any leakage from the canisters (by inflating) and if so, will contain the leakage for awhile "

Are you sure that propane won't easily penetrate the plastic?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Two tanks are good to have.

in Marsh Harbor Abaco, you drop off your tank in the morning and come back the next day to pick it up, filled.
The cruisers net on vhf 68 can answer questions about when and where

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Propane availability is not common but is usually sufficient for most yachts.
Propane is widely used for cooking. I've never had trouble getting a refill in the Bahamas. You either have to go to the truck or pay extra and wait longer for someone else to go to the truck. See the big tank trucks on old LCUs? Propane.

Two tanks is the way to go.

Refilling the 1 lb disposable canisters is a bad idea. The valves aren't designed for multiple uses and will leak. Can you say "boom?"

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
"The bags also reveal whether there is any leakage from the canisters (by inflating) and if so, will contain the leakage for awhile "

Are you sure that propane won't easily penetrate the plastic?
We have used this method with several different kinds of pressurized fuel canisters, including for our air horn and my (much) better half's butane hair drier fuel cells, all of which have been vacuum bagged and stored in our propane locker when not in use. While several have leaked over the years, as evidenced by the food-saver bags inflating, our gas sniffer has never gone off and it is sensitive enough that if I hold my grill lighter in the locker with the trigger depressed but no flame to test the system, the alarm goes off in seconds. I think the methodology works but there are other options for those with misgivings. Different ships, different long splices eh?

Reactions: -OvO-

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts

Refilling the 1 lb disposable canisters is a bad idea. The valves aren't designed for multiple uses and will leak. Can you say "boom?"
I do not disagree, But, done once or twice on an annual cruise, when necessary, it does work and will/can come in handy.

FWIW...

·
Registered
25,122 Posts
Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure why one would refill a disposable container and not the actual refillable tank, if propane was available.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Different ships, different log splices eh?
You mean long splices?

I do not disagree, But, done once or twice on an annual cruise, when necessary, it does work and will/can come in handy.
I wouldn't argue with having the capability if it isn't a regular thing. For example, being able to refill a 1 lb canister from a neighbor might be handy if the propane truck broke down and you have to wait a week.

I think I'd find someone that liked my cooking and potluck it on other people's boats for a week. Either that or invite them over BYOP(ropane). *grin*

Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure why one would refill a disposable container and not the actual refillable tank, if propane was available.
Not a good idea, but some people do refill 1 lb cylinders for their gas grill. I prefer a long hose to my main tanks.

The valves in those little 1 lb tanks are simply not designed for multiple uses.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
With the adapter sold by Bass Pro, for example, one can at least partially refill a disposable canister from one's main tank. The canisters, with an adapter, do come in handy as an emergency back-up if one happens to run out of fuel and one doesn't have a second primary tank. I have previously "loaned" a pound or so of fuel to an out-of-luck cruiser to tide him over until he was able to re-fill his primary tank. It's really just an emergency measure not a common-place practice.

FWIW...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for local knowlage, propane is avalible at Staniel Cay, Georgetown, of course Nassau and in the abacos. Believe it or not the cost are not that much more, the trick is to make sure your tank is "empty" they will charge you 22.00 for a tank weather it is empty or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.