SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a luxurious propane fireplace so that my wife and I may bask in the romantic glow of HEAT in this COLD assed weather. Thing is I have a boom tent canvas thingy that I paid way too much for. Anyone have any experience routing a chimney through a canvas so as not to have the entire marina burn down on the account of me being super galdang friggin COLD?

Oh and Happy New Year. I hope to run into many of you out there as I try to outrun my creditors in the very near future. ;) :chaser

·
Registered
515 Posts
Do a search for tent heaters, many places sell chimney parts to install a woodstove in a tent for serious camping.

Most consiste of a ventilated double wall pipe with a metal flange, can be made up easily at home.

Not always the most attractive visually. Though if you make up a pair of removable panels, one with the thimble installed, and one plain section of cloth you can zip them in and out when needed.

a couple of these mounted botom to bottom on the zip out section with double wall pipe would work:
SHINGLE ROOF 4" PIPE FLASHING (12)

Sure you could find a more attractive assembly

If you have a high efficiency heater, (not likely with a propane fireplace) the assembly can be made simply with heavy fire resistant cloth sewn to the cover.

may be possible to do it with a double wall pipe and some very close weave fiberglass cloth (plain cloth, no resin).

Ken.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Pretty common on the double wall tents used up here, but that is for wood camp stoves. Are you using the Force 10 (Sigmar) Cozy Cabin heater? The pipes in those never get really hot. Make a mock up and take some temperature readings with a non contact thermometer. You might be able to get away with a lot. A "stove jack":

Cylinder Stoves - Manufacturer of wood burning camping stoves, canvas wall tents, and wall tent frames.
Whatever you do introducing an extension to the chimney and a barrier above the deck could do screwed up things with airflow and possible increase the risk of CO poisoning so be careful.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Gil—

It would help if you said what heater/stove/fireplace you're considering installing. Many use a double-walled chimney that acts as a fresh air intake/exhaust that really doesn't heat up much. If that's the case, you can probably get away with a small modification to the boom tent. Either that or route the chimney forward of the boom tent. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts