1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
19,489 Posts
Worked well for us on our previous boat:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh, I saw that pic in other posts. I did wonder about the grease dripping onto the propane tanks :)

One thing I might look into is putting a large diameter PVC sleeve over the tank and fittings, with a PVC cap on top. Protect from the elements and look a little better.

·
19,489 Posts
Heh, I saw that pic in other posts. I did wonder about the grease dripping onto the propane tanks :)
Never happened, actually.. they are offset more than it looks (fore and aft)

One thing I might look into is putting a large diameter PVC sleeve over the tank and fittings, with a PVC cap on top. Protect from the elements and look a little better.
That could work but might look too bulky.. also you'd want to be sure to still have easy access to the shutoff valves.. but open-bottomed would be safe enough otherwise.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
Tanks on the pushpit is done all the time. I find it a bit unsightly, I even remove my BBQ when not in use. Of course, I'm probably being ridiculous with a big ugly dinghy hanging back there.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
perfect off the rail...I prefer over boxes on small boats since the boxes add a lot of windage and can become quite heavy...not to mention break at the worst moment.

in heavy weather you can simply make individual covers for the tanks with the bottoms open that way you still have an exit but you cover them from salt, spray and sun...

cheers

·
Registered
557 Posts
We have had our tank on the stern for years. Used a SS fender holder. I also made a spray hood for our main hatch that also stores 2 or 3 tanks that are not in use.

We used to carry 4 each, 6 pound tanks. But have dropped to just 3. Each tank lasts us about a month to 6 weeks full time live aboard, in hot weather.

Below are photos of the tank in use, covered with white Sunbrella, and our spray hood storage box.

Greg

Attachments

·
Old enough to know better
4,343 Posts
We have had our tank on the stern for years. Used a SS fender holder. I also made a spray hood for our main hatch that also stores 2 or 3 tanks that are not in use.

We used to carry 4 each, 6 pound tanks. But have dropped to just 3. Each tank lasts us about a month to 6 weeks full time live aboard, in hot weather.

Below are photos of the tank in use, covered with white Sunbrella, and our spray hood storage box.

Greg
Are there any drains in that spray hood that would divert any leaks below the deck level? Seems as though any leaks would go right down into the companionway and would make me nervous.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Are there any drains in that spray hood that would divert any leaks below the deck level? Seems as though any leaks would go right down into the companionway and would make me nervous.
The spray hood is built on top of the boat and is attached to what was parts of the hand rails along the cabin sides. The sides of the box are forward of the main cabin hatch and come down close to the deck in that area, but leave a small space. It is very well vented. We have been using it for many years now and never had a sniff in the boat. Even when one tank did vent a bit in tropical sun after a fill.

You can see how I built it one our web page at;
Guenevere's Projects, Spray hood and storage

Greg

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Greg, Do you use CNG or propane (LPG) on your boat? Unlike propane, CNG is lighter than air and will not collect in the bilges. What is the CNG availability in Mexico. I hear that propane is easy to come by and I was thinking that I could get by with a single bottle (I'm figuring two weeks max between harbor stops). I'm also planning on using a rail mounted grill.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Greg, Do you use CNG or propane (LPG) on your boat? Unlike propane, CNG is lighter than air and will not collect in the bilges. What is the CNG availability in Mexico. I hear that propane is easy to come by and I was thinking that I could get by with a single bottle (I'm figuring two weeks max between harbor stops). I'm also planning on using a rail mounted grill.
George,

We use propane, CNG in Mexico? I sure never saw any at all. Not sure they even know it exists. ;)

We could get propane most every place that had a town. BUT, the place to get it is often out of town and you may need a cab ride to get there. The guys who run the bus didn't like to take us if we have a tank in hand. :( One place we found it was beside the road about a mile out of town with a guy sitting under a piece of cardboard for shade.

In Mazatlan, they would pick up my tank, fill it and return it, for a cost of something like $12.00 US. If I went and filled it myself, the cost was about $1.75! And in Mazatlan, there was a car filling station that had a fill for it.

Also, since almost every one in Mexico uses propane, parts are cheap!!!!! We bought a spare pressure regulator for about US $5.00 if I remember correctly. The ONE part that I could NOT find in Mexico was a solenoid shut off valve. We had one go bad on us, would not open. Take a spare one with you, but purchase the other spare parts when you get there. It will save you some bucks. Just ask around and some one will show you the shop to get the parts at.

Greg

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Greg, So the valve fittings on CNG and propane tanks are the same? Thanks for the solenoid tip. I'm starting to work up my "on board" spares list. One of the things we haven't done over these so many years is to calculate the consumption usage out of one tank. Being an SF Bay kinda guy, our meals are divided between stove, grill and M-wave. As our prop tank is in a well, I was thinking of carrying a spare composite tank on the stern (until the recall). We always top off the prop before we go to the Delta if it needs it or not (standing orders from she who must be obeyed)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Greg, So the valve fittings on CNG and propane tanks are the same? Thanks for the solenoid tip. I'm starting to work up my "on board" spares list. One of the things we haven't done over these so many years is to calculate the consumption usage out of one tank. Being an SF Bay kinda guy, our meals are divided between stove, grill and M-wave. As our prop tank is in a well, I was thinking of carrying a spare composite tank on the stern (until the recall). We always top off the prop before we go to the Delta if it needs it or not (standing orders from she who must be obeyed)
George,

Sorry, I might not have made it clear. We use propane and have never used any CNG. I think I might have seen one tank some years back, but am not sure. I would think the tanks are different.

As I said, we used a 6 pound tank about every 4 to 6 weeks cooking and living full time aboard in the Sea of Cortez in the summer months. Even though we might stop at a place, we often did not fill up, yet I don't ever using up much of the 3ed tank before we filled the 2 used. It never seemed to be a problem. We do not have an m-wave and did not take our grill with us as it took up to much space aboard for us. When we felt we needed a Bar-B-Q, we made a trip to the beach. :D

And I can tell you I sure felt stupid taking some of the propane spares with once I saw the price of the parts there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
31 Posts
VERY theft prone. In some parts of Oz they would purloin the cross from Jesus. You leave nothing available or it will certainly go. Some of these thieves also sail boats --which makes being robbed by them very hard to take.

·
Registered
557 Posts
VERY theft prone. In some parts of Oz they would purloin the cross from Jesus. You leave nothing available or it will certainly go. Some of these thieves also sail boats --which makes being robbed by them very hard to take.
Interesting Mike.

We spent over 4 years in Mexico, then a couple of more years in and out of Mexico. A lot of people around here think it's dangerous. In all that time we only locked our boat when we were going to gone for more than a couple days and never had anything stolen from our boat!

I would not have expected that in Oz. When we visited there we loved it.

Greg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts