SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone converted their existing tanks to the new valve standards? If so, what is involved and what is the cost? I have aluminum tanks and am looking to determine cost for refit vs. replacement of tanks. Cost to replace with new tanks is aprox. $215/tank.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Have heard that Home Depot will be selling the new valves for $11.00. If your tanks are older than 10-12 yrs you may have trouble having them filled depending on local regulations and if the supplier checks the date.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Shimshon,

I''m curious. Why would you convert them? Is it the new purge valve issue? Can''t you get them filled anymore?

Bob N

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It''s definitely a problem getting them filled. In 2000 I took the tank, original to the 1983 C&C I''d just bought, to get filled. I was told it was too old to use. So I got lucky and found a "new" one just like the old one. Went back to the place and they told me they could fill it this year, but in the next couple of years that valve type would be phased out and I could not get it refilled. I could get it done this year (phew).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts