SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
So it is 2.047" OD and 1.693" ID.
Would a regular stern tube measuring 2.0" OD and 1.7" ID do?
Is your shaft a 26mm?
Have you found a bronze supplier?
standard metric shafts are 25 mm or 30 mm (aso). Not 26.

If metric tubes are not available locally, then either has to be ordered from a metric country or having one made to fit. Usually not good to try to use something that nearly works.

Note that there are many different qualities of bronze, depends on use. There is a very special quality for (bush) bearings.

It is very easy to work in most bronze, any mechanical workshop can do that. I would try to find one working with marine applications, they may have the right kind of bronze as well.

/J

·
Registered
Endurance 35
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

My current shaft is 1.25" (31.75mm) I don't know what the original metric was.

The shaft log has to be 52mm OD as it is basically pressed into a 700mm (27.5") fiberglass sleeve in the hull. If it was smaller it would be loose, plus the flange would not screw onto it.

I talked to Vetus and alot of other stern tube manufacturers. It looks like I need to have one custom made so I've ordered the material from a bronze supplier and will have a machine shop fabricate it.

Vetus does make tubes but the cutlass bearing flange that comes with thier tubes won't work in my boat as it needs to be ~75mm in length for the prop to fit in the aperture correctly. Theirs appear to be longer. The US office was calling Finland to see about a custom one but to buy the material and have one made is roughly the same cost and I can use my existing setup which I know works.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.