SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this in e-mail from Boye Knives....

URGENT ACTION NEEDED

BY TOMORROW, JULY 7!

Dear Boye Knife Customers,

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has proposed a new rule that would broaden the definition of a switchblade to include one hand opening pocket knives, thereby illegalizing them in some states and restricting commerce.

If you want to have legal folding knives in your life, write your Senators NOW to derail this limiting proposal. Out in the ocean, one hand opening knives are saving lives every day.

Thank you for your help!

David Boye

For more information:

YouTube - Help Us Defend Your Knife Rights

YouTube - TNP Call to Action: CBP Outlaws Knives

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Appropriations Bill will be taken up by the Senate tomorrow, Tuesday, July 7th. Your emails to Senate offices will be a huge help as knife rights lobbyists and legislative representatives work Monday and Tuesday to get an amendment introduced and voted into the bill. Time is of the essence.

Contacting Senator Patty Murray [D-WA] and Senator George Voinovich [R-OH] is particularly important because they are ranking members on the Senate Appropriations Committee's Subcommittee on Homeland Security. Contacting your own Senators is also very important and their support is needed as well.

You can use the two sample letters below and copy and paste into the email forms. Just four simple emails can make a BIG difference! (There are two different letters, one for Senators Murray and Voinovich and one for your own two Senators.)

Email forms for Senators Murray and Voinovich can be found here:

Senator Murray: E-Mail Senator Murray - U.S. Senator Patty Murray - Washington State
Senator Voinovich: .: United States Senator George Voinovich :: Contact :.

·
Registered
Jeanneau 57
2,939 Posts
That sucks - I wouldn't know what I would do without a folder aboard. One hand to hold (whatever) and one hand to get out and cut the (whatever). Plus I have a largish collection of Benchmades, Sypdercos and Crickets (CRKT) that would suddenly become illegal whilst my class III items won't be. (I'm sitting here in a secure building wearing a suit and tie ... and a folder)

·
STARBOARD!!
1,662 Posts
One hand folding would be illegal; yet a 16" buoy knife is not?? Or is that next on the list (assault weapon bans). Maybe I will start carrying my fixed blade skinning knife now.

I guess it's too late to write in now; but I will anyway...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Buoy knife? You've been at sea with your bowie knife too long.

One hand folding would be illegal; yet a 16" buoy knife is not?? Or is that next on the list (assault weapon bans). Maybe I will start carrying my fixed blade skinning knife now.

I guess it's too late to write in now; but I will anyway...

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
And to think, I used to ride the NYC subways with my rigging knife on my belt and no fear of being stopped for it.

I think we need to make watching "Idiocracy" a mandatory activity, and anyone who comes out laughing or not saying "We ought to be worried about that" gets a free one-way ticket out to any other nation they'd like to visit.

·
Registered
Jeanneau 57
2,939 Posts
...If you read the text of the proposed rule, it is obvious the reg would apply to spring-assisted blades ONLY...
Unfortunately most one-handed blades do fall under the propsed regulations as they are inertia or gravity driven

(a) Switchblade knife. . . . any imported knife, . . . including ''Balisong'',
''butterfly'' . . . knives, which has one or more of the following
characteristics or identities:
(1) A blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to
a button or device in the handle of the knife, or any knife with a
blade which opens automatically by operation of inertia, gravity,
or both;

·
STARBOARD!!
1,662 Posts
Don't have a bowie knife; and did not know that a misspell would be such a federal offense. Gimme a break...

What would be considered spring loaded? Most of these knives have a spring lock function that keeps it locked open. A knife with a push button that springs it open would be a switchblade.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
So would almost all current folders, while they aren't spring assisted, they are inertia driven, i.e. they can be opened with a flick of the wrist.
Not sure how clearly interpreted this would be by enforcement agencies, however, regardless, the exclusion would apply ONLY to the importation of new knives, not anything anyone currently owns or buys from a U.S. manufacturer and certainly nottoanything purchased while outside the U.S.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Don't have a bowie knife; and did not know that a misspell would be such a federal offense. Gimme a break...

What would be considered spring loaded? Most of these knives have a spring lock function that keeps it locked open. A knife with a push button that springs it open would be a switchblade.
KeelHaulin, I don't know anything about this, but I do know what knives they are probably talking about because I have one - mine is a Gerber knife, it is basically a switchblade. There is a spring assist, but unlike on a switchblade where you just press a button and it pops the blade out, this has a little notch on the blade itself and you have to give it a little "nudge" and then the spring assist takes over and opens the blade the rest of the way and then it locks open. It might as well be a switchblade, I love mine because it opens so easily, though the old one I had opened TOO easily because there is a safety on them that locks them closed until you open the safety, and my first knife the safety was broken and I had it open in my pocket on its own a few times, pointing the blade directly at my abdomen. On my new one the safety stays locked so the method of opening is to pull the knife, click the safety to the "unsafe" position, then flick it open with your thumb. When you get used to using it the knife opens in one motion. Most onlookers assume it is a switchblade because it opens so quickly. Available at any Walmart.

I'm surprised people can take time away from their gluten allergies to worry about such things.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sadly, its just another crack in the "liberty and freedom" bell of America. Take small amounts of liberty from us at a time and before we know it we'll have none.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little freedom will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin.

Wonder what he'd say today. :(

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I never understood what the big deal was with switchblades anyway. Who cares. Like it really matters that you can open a knife with one hand, what, if it takes two hands you're less likely to harm someone with it ? Do criminals really stand there saying oh wow can't mug some guy because I'd have to put my groceries down to open my knife ? :D

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Unfortunately most one-handed blades do fall under the propsed regulations as they are inertia or gravity driven
Of my four one-handed-opening knives, a back-lock, two frame-locks and an Axis-lock, only the latter could be considered inertia- or gravity-driven: The Axis-lock Benchmade. And even that one isn't easily opened by a "flick of the wrist," IMO. Maybe I'm just uncoordinated :p

Jim

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
It doesn't matter what they outlaw, people will still harm people when they want to do it. It's the intention to harm someone that harms people, not what weapon they have available. I don't know why people just don't get this idea.

The shoguns tried to protect themselves by outlawing weapons in the hands of the peasants, and that's why martial arts evolved with such strange weapons, because a peasant had to learn to kill you with his chopsticks or the wooden tool he threshed grain with, because that's all he had to fight with. Throwing stars were coins that had been shaved to points, because that's what they had. But that didn't stop him from fighting and being successful, because it is the intention that causes the act.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.