SailNet Community banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually hadn't thought of that, Jim, but it is something to consider. Our basic plan right now is to "ease" into the lifestyle. I live close enough to KY Lake to commute to the boat for refit, maintenance, etc, etc, etc, plan on doing as much DIY as I can, and it will be a couple of years before we would be ready to cast off all lines and make ready for sea.

I am not against a Great Lakes boat, nor any boat (yet) and having lived in South Florida for 8 years, I know how the climate can really hit boats in the south hard. My initial mission is really just the browsing thing and I thought if I could start making contacts with someone on some salty water, I may have a better experience than just showing up and saying, "Hey, can I get on those 8 boats?".

I know the east coast is a great place to find a boat, but since I really haven't narrowed the search much its more of a fact and feel mission at first and the South is the closest salty water to me.

You are right, in all likelihood I will end up trucking a boat to the lake. An alternative is following the Loopers route from Mobile, up the Tenn-Tom to the Tennessee and on to KY Lake. All of which would require the mast to be dropped no further north than Demopolis. If I could find a good boat somewhere in the Gulf I could theoretically sail/motor it (yes, I would hire a captain at least to Mobile Bay since my sailing experience is in smaller boats (23 and 35 feet) on no more than 2 or 3 day coastal cruises) to KY Lake. This is just one option and as stated, I actually think I will end up trucking it in. Motoring up or down the Mississippi is no place for a rookie and really no place for any recreational vessel. Marinas are nearly non-existant, the currents are unpredictable and heavy, shoaling is always a problem and barge traffic takes no heed to recreational vessels. Not to mention the trees (yes whole oaks sometimes), flotsam and other hazards that float just under the surface that could easily hole a fiberglass hull.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought a buyers broker would help me find "the boat" anywhere, regardless of where he or she may be physically located? I understand that their preferences may be to move local boats, but an agent who would not look further than their own backyard would not be one with whom I would maintain a relationship.

Thanks!

Dave

·
11,797 Posts
I don’t think you can compare the amount of boats in Galveston Bay to Annapolis Chesapeake) . The east coast has many centers for sailing. Newport area is also a hotbed along with the Long Island Sound area.

Not sure why you only saw new 45 ft in Annapolis. I would tell you to research the different sites not just yacht world. Search for sailboat brokers say in Md, Va, NY, North Carolina.

The heat/ UV can have an effect on sailboat life but so can non use. To me Texas is too small an area to look. If you want to discuss further feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure why you only saw new 45 ft in Annapolis.
We were at the fall show in 2018 and there was no brokerage cove that year.

We could have looked for a local broker but were limited on time and, being our first show, we were just trying to soak up as much of the whole experience as possible.

I'm too much of a posting noob to PM you, but tyvm for the help!

Dave

·
11,797 Posts
We were at the fall show in 2018 and there was no brokerage cove that year.

We could have looked for a local broker but were limited on time and, being our first show, we were just trying to soak up as much of the whole experience as possible.

I'm too much of a posting noob to PM you, but tyvm for the help!

Dave
No problem
To PM you need 10 posts...you are almost there😁

On opening screen for SN in the top right hand side hit User CP
Down the left hand side it has Private Messanges....send new message
You need to put in the person user name
I send you one after you get 10 posts

·
11,797 Posts
The are 10 times more boats on sailboat broker websites than you are seeing was my point . And there are even more hidden. The brokerage at the boat show is not a very good place to look with many expensive high end stuff.....and they appear also on brokers websites

·
Registered
9 Posts
Full disclosure: this post is to help pad numbers, hahaha...BUT thanks, Chef! Any info is good info when one is brand new at this process.

As an aside, I have looked at Craig's List, Ebay, FB - just have a hard time believing what Im seeing some times and after 30 years in dealing with the public have a jaded view of peoples' ability be honest; also checked out any and all seemingly relavent .com I could find. Seems most have a link to Yachworld once you pull up the listings. All of which leads me to just want to deal with a broker. As you said, brokers have access to many more listings than we can find on our own. I have no experience in big boat buying, but have experience with realestate and brokers and found using a broker was an easier process for me.

As far as the show: just a jumping in point. Gotta start somewhere, huh? The free seminars were very interesting ;)

Dave

·
11,797 Posts
Full disclosure: this post is to help pad numbers, hahaha...BUT thanks, Chef! Any info is good info when one is brand new at this process.

As an aside, I have looked at Craig's List, Ebay, FB - just have a hard time believing what Im seeing some times and after 30 years in dealing with the public have a jaded view of peoples' ability be honest; also checked out any and all seemingly relavent .com I could find. Seems most have a link to Yachworld once you pull up the listings. All of which leads me to just want to deal with a broker. As you said, brokers have access to many more listings than we can find on our own. I have no experience in big boat buying, but have experience with realestate and brokers and found using a broker was an easier process for me.

As far as the show: just a jumping in point. Gotta start somewhere, huh? The free seminars were very interesting ;)

Dave
For sure the show is interesting

Seminars are great as are the paid ones

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Sailboatlistings.com is a good place to look for boats for sale by owners. You can search by location or boat manufacturer. One issue is that there are a lot of old listings there as it's up to the poster to delete them when boat is sold or taken off the market.

Yachtworld is certainly the place to go for boats listed with brokers. There may be some brokered boats not on there, but I suspect not many in the major boating markets.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts