SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has been asked before, but it has been a while, maybe there are some new solutions out there.

How do you store and protect your wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, and the rest of your hand tools so that the humid environment doesn't cause them to corrode ?

I've never seen an environment that can destroy tools faster than keeping them on a boat ...

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
every once in a while, a fresh water bucket dunk, dry them off, then WD-40 spray.
Ditto. (although, I don't actually do the FW dunk)

About once a year I empty the toolbox and spray WD-40 on everything. I then rinse out the toolbox and return the tools to the box as I wipe them down to remove any excess WD-40.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
IMHO..no!
Plastic bags will cause more/worse corrosion.Unless they are the type specially designed by Uncle Sugar for stowing arms..
I found a product years ago, might not be avail anymore. IIRC, it was packaged/mfgr'd by Aervoe Pacific called "Tool Mates".. Essentially. a spray-on Cosmoline. Permanent protection, ala long term arms storage, a fulll-on, soaking/dripping spritz and let standtill dry. (and sticky! ;) ). For general usage, I used to simply spray a bit and wipe dowgently, leaving a trace of film. Try Google for it???

A newer product called. "CO collector" bySafari land/BreakFree works nearly as well (so afar) ands. is less gooey. I have yet to. test it aboard; but from results found from use on outdoors equipment, it seems to probably meet marine needs as well..

HTH,
Paul

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
IMHO..no!
Plastic bags will cause more/worse corrosion.Unless they are the type specially designed by Uncle Sugar for stowing arms..
I found a product years ago, might not be avail anymore. IIRC, it was packaged/mfgr'd by Aervoe Pacific called "Tool Mates".. Essentially. a spray-on Cosmoline. Permanent protection, ala long term arms storage, a fulll-on, soaking/dripping spritz and let standtill dry. (and sticky! ;) ). For general usage, I used to simply spray a bit and wipe dowgently, leaving a trace of film. Try Google for it???

A newer product called. "CO collector" bySafari land/BreakFree works nearly as well (so afar) ands. is less gooey. I have yet to. test it aboard; but from results found from use on outdoors equipment, it seems to probably meet marine needs as well..

HTH,
Paul
Cosmoline spray is also available.

·
3,505 Posts
I have two sets of tools. One set is the everyday tools(-+screwdrivers,2 crescent wrenches, pliers, *****, needle nose pliers,flashlight) that live in a mesh hanging tool organizer just in side the companionway. These get a wiping down with whatever fancy spray once in awhile, I'm not too concerned with these, throw away stuff. The good stuff resides in canvas tool bags. The wrenches are in canvas roll up's, other tools wrapped in fabric sprayed with some fancy spray. Seems to work pretty good for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Several option for protecting tools from rust:

1. Heavy chrome plated tools
2. BOIL the (non-plated) tools in hot water for an hour or two - will develop a coating of ferrous oxide or 'black rust' which is protective against ferric oxide or 'red' rust. Do yearly and then spray the tools with Boeshield™ - an anti-corrosive/anti-rust wax. Best done after prior rust removal with a bench grinder and wire wheel and soaking in a 'rust reformer' such as 'Ospho' or 'Naval Jelly'.
3. Spray paint the tools - every few years - after rotary wire brushing.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Basically, keep them dry. Not necessarily "clean" and dry.

WD-40 works. Boeshield works better and longer, but is harder to find. A sealed storage box, or at least, one that closes snugly and allows less air to migrate through, really helps. The plastic copies of ammo cans often do not seal the way that the real ones do. And while I've never seen a Pelican tool box...Pelican boxes in general are the final word in waterproof.

I've used dessicant packs, "recharge" them in the toaster oven. I'm also a firm believer in rust-inhibition blocks. Little tabs like postage stamps that sublimate something odorless, blocking corrosion in closed spaces. 3M used to make them, shooting suppliers usually carry them in bags of 100. Or you can do what the Navy did, literally mothball stuff. I used to use para balls, but para is such a good toxin that I've chased down real camphor (Amazon, where else?) and used camphor blocks. It also sublimates and leaves a protective coating on tools.

And then there are tool rolls (aka knife rolls) that disappeared for a while but are back on the market. Spray them with the same spray you use on the tools, and it helps keep them nicely, too.

Of course good tools tend to not rust the way cheaper ones often will, but one of my favorites is an old linesman's dyke I literally found in the street once. It has a slight brown rust film on it but it never gets worse than a film. I suspect being well-used for so many years, something about oil from the hands got into the old steel?

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,090 Posts
I keep my tools from rusting the same way I keep my cast iron skillet from rusting - regular use! Since I have an old boat that always needs some fixing somewhere and a big appetite for cornbread and bacon that seems to work out pretty well for me.....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Good quality tools. My klein, crescent, matco tools turned black years ago but still work perfectly. They even survived a recent salt water soaking. I just worked the rust out with some oil and they'll be good for years to come.
Most of my tools live in a canvass bag in a locker. I do keep some tools on lanyards out where they are most likely to be used.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Mea culpa, mea culpa, I have sinned (or not). After reading all of these terrific ways of keeping tools in good shape I must confess that I am in the same boat (well not actually) as SJ34. My tool maintenance is pretty much focussed on function rather than appearance. I store most of my tools in more drawer that it is quite dry. Things rust up a bit but they all work fine.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Waterproof box is a good idea but I find square boxes are mostly incompatible with my small curved boat.

Actually come to think of it right when I bought the boat I bought a big waterproof tool box which didn't fit anywhere. It was promptly replaced.

Everything I've got is in a canvas bag or a foam cooler for storage. I sprayed my tools with corrosion inhibitor a couple years ago and it seemed to work pretty well. The fact that my tools are suddenly rusty this year, after being rust free for the previous 4, is evidence of that.

That said a little rust doesn't hurt hand tools a whole lot. And comes off easily if you really want to.

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
I do like the idea of that waterproof box. Havn't seen that before. Canvas rolls certainly do the job as well. We keep ours in a nice squarish space under the dinette seating. I like the central, low location though need to somehow get a positive lock happening. If we did do a turtle someday I'd like to only have to worry about new underwear not loose tools as well.

Interesting (I hope) point ..... is the locker you keep your tools in secure should you go whoopsy doodle ?

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
fuzzy-
If that locker itself isn't secure enough, I'd say a couple of bungee cords (the harder black rubber kind) or some wide Velcro straps should be a reasonably easy way to secure things. I stumbled across some nice bungees in the Home Despot [sic] recently where one end had a plain plastic hook, but the other end had a cam cleat on the back of the hook, so you could just cinch the cord up tight and adjust the length after both ends were clipped on. Simply elegant, duh, why didn't this exist before?(G)

Someone must sell 2" Velcro straps, but I think you'll find 2" webbing (like seat belt webbing) and stitch-on Velcro faster & cheaper. Then again, I haven't gone looking...surely Amazon must...(G)...

Doesn't everyone keep an old plier and a couple of old shabby screwdrivers in the drawer under the silverware and can opener?

·
al brazzi
2,088 Posts
When I had the Race car I would use old metal first aid boxes for travelling storage the metal was great. Now that I'm floating again I switched everything over to canvas bags good waxy oily ones are found at the Army surplus store or go to Home Depot in the electrical section and buy the Klein zipper bags $20 for four. My CS has a locker under the Nav station that has a door and is covered for security. But then this locker, the dual battery bank and the water Tank are all the same side that explains why the port tack is a but more tender.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Spray all of them down with Boeshield once a year and you won't have any rust, corrosion, etc. I just keep them in a canvas bag with no problems (other than tape measures, they are a problem). Before I started using the Boeshield (developed by Boeing for the amphibious planes) I had lots of trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.