SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon.com: Weems & Plath Marine Navigation Protractor Triangle with Handle: Sports & Outdoors

I just bought this protractor triangle and it seems to be very handy.
I've tried all the other products, parallel rules etc and they all work fine on a chart table.

The protractor triangle seems like it will work on a knee.
Just keep the chart folded to best place.
Put the hypotenuse of the triangle on your course line.
Line up the center convergence point with a vertical line.
Read the degrees on the outside edge of the scale on that same line.
Pick either high or low numbers for either coming or going.
For me I add 15 to get magnetic and I have a course within one degree.
Easier to read than unfolding the chart and finding a rose then walking something over.

I haven't tried it on a boat yet but it looks promising.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
This is MY favorite tool...it is all you need to plot any course on any chart on any surface, or read a heading true or magnetic of a drawn course.
ANY of this can be done is 10 seconds or less with no other tools except a pencil and NO calculation. It is Weems protractor #255.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
This is MY favorite tool...it is all you need to plot any course on any chart on any surface, or read a heading true or magnetic of a drawn course.
ANY of this can be done is 10 seconds or less with no other tools except a pencil and NO calculation. It is Weems protractor #255.

Cam is 100% right with this. I took his advice and bought the 255. It is fantastic !! Hands down the best tool for navigation.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Yep, got the same one as Cam and Freesail. It revolutionised my plotting ability.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
As a Professional Mariner, I prefer the triangle. Two of them in fact. I can plot faster with them then you can with parallel rulers.
But I do teach my students to use the triangle combined with the parallel ruler. Mainly because they are slow in picking up Nav Plotting at first. But their speed picks up in the second week.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Heh...I know that as a CPS plotter (Canadian Power Squadron).

I know how to use triangles and parallel rulers and even the old three-armed model, but 99% of the time I use the "CPS plotter".

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
These are the great tools that I refer non-sailing friends to when asking about sailing gifts... Simple things that last and are extremely useful....

--jf

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I have used a Portland Plotter for years.

Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts