SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I just heard from the broker, the owner accepted my offer. Looks like I'm going to Florida next week to close the deal.

It's a '79 Hunter 30. I have never been a big fan of Hunters but after doing a little research I would never have a new one (no offense to Hunter owners) but the older ones seem like decent boats. By comparison, a 2004 Hunter 30 weighs 7,000lbs, the '79 weighs 10,000lbs, quite a difference.

The '79's (actually the '73-'84 series) have a full skeg hung rudder which I definitely like over a fin.

She needs a little TLC, a good cleaning and buff job, and some tinkering here and there but she is structurally and mechanically sound. Good Yanmar diesel, newer sails, bimini and dodger, dingy w/ outboard, hot & cold pressure water, wheel steering w/ auto pilot.

Could use some new upholstery, it's pretty dated '70's ugly' but thats ok for now.

Bahama's here I come!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Nice Boat!!!!

Congratulations, and thanks for the picture!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good Ol' Hunter

Congrats, you are spot on..... the oldies are goodies, had an 87' 28.5, raced it and did very well, took it 89 miles south of key west and back with no problems.... bahamas and more. put some decent sails on it first, on those old hunters it really makes them come back to life..........

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Congratulations, and my sincere condolences... ;)

Where will you be keeping her and sailing her? Also, what are you going to name her?

·
never convicted
482 Posts
Very nice, congrats----

·
19,489 Posts
Congrats, Blowin', enjoy your new baby... Friends just moved up from a similar model and have nothing but good things to say about their old H30.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

I just heard from the broker, the owner accepted my offer. Looks like I'm going to Florida next week to close the deal.

It's a '79 Hunter 30. I have never been a big fan of Hunters but after doing a little research I would never have a new one (no offense to Hunter owners) but the older ones seem like decent boats. By comparison, a 2004 Hunter 30 weighs 7,000lbs, the '79 weighs 10,000lbs, quite a difference.

The '79's (actually the '73-'84 series) have a full skeg hung rudder which I definitely like over a fin.

She needs a little TLC, a good cleaning and buff job, and some tinkering here and there but she is structurally and mechanically sound. Good Yanmar diesel, newer sails, bimini and dodger, dingy w/ outboard, hot & cold pressure water, wheel steering w/ auto pilot.

Could use some new upholstery, it's pretty dated '70's ugly' but thats ok for now.

Bahama's here I come!!
Congratulations.

I just sold my boat today, which frees us up to make an offer on a nice 34 Catalina we've been looking at. Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the percentage delta between your offer and the asking price on your new baby?

·
19,489 Posts
Congratulations.

I just sold my boat today, which frees us up to make an offer on a nice 34 Catalina we've been looking at. Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the percentage delta between your offer and the asking price on your new baby?
Congrats to you, too, Midlife!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Well done. I concur about the Hunters...if it hasn't disintegrated yet, it's not likely to do so on your watch. All the same, start cutting backing plates for your winches and genoa tracks...those 1970s fender washers must be well-dished by now!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats,
I've got a 1982 Hunter 33 and love sailing it on Lake Ontario. She's pretty nimble and sails closer to the wind than most. I got the groovy 70's cushions too but that is on the list to change. Enjoy! Check out HuntersOwners.com for info and advice.
Dave

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
Nice.

I still like the look of the era you just bought into. She's beautiful. Have fun!

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Congrats, hope you get all out of her you hope to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts