SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are going to spend a week on our 22' windrose in September. Any suggestions on how to pack a week's worth of food on a small boat would be VERY useful!

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yes, fresh ice will be a every other day thing I expect. There are plenty of marinas to get at least ice. The problem we face around here, is a lack of curtsy cars/close by stores.

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, being stuck in an inland lake, stores are generally pretty far from the marinas. To answer your question, we probably don't need to pack a week's food. We could always return to the marina and our car. One other possibility I'm considering is talking to a marina further away from ours to see if we can keep a car there, and maybe overnight to charge up the batteries and re-provision.

My goal is to be as self sufficient as possible given our limitations (boat size, access to stores on foot, etc...)

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Donna, I think you hit one of the issues we have right on the head. We tend to over cook, and have left overs. I'd love to avoid this unless we can re-use it the next day. On the other hand you can't have too much rum on board.

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Being an old backpacker, freeze dried wouldn't be my first choice. Although they got better, they still aren't all that pleasing textural wise.

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've eaten a few MREs backpacking. You are absolutely correct about high calories! I happen to favor the spaghetti one. Had one that had some kind of ham stuff and wasn't happy.

Binding up isn't a bad thing when you don't have a real head!

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My wife and I both love to cook. Just trying to figure out the whole space vs time issue on the smaller boats. We both are avid campers but can just hop in the car to go to the store. Not so easy around here on the water.

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thank you all for such great suggestions!

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Does anyone have a particular type of cooler they like above all others?

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yeti. I had an Igloo before that lived on the boat. I replaced hinges, latches, and handles over and over. When the case failed due to UV we bought a Yeti. It cost a lot but not as much as the Igloo plus all the repairs. No failures, and ice lasts 50 - 75% longer.
I looked at the Yeti but haven't decided if its worth the cost.

· S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
When we had the 22 I bought an Igloo Ice Cube. It's more vertical than horizontal and took up less berth space. It also fit nicely in the middle of the boat between the berths for use as a table, has cup holders built into the lid, and inside trays at the top to keep stuff like the cheese and salamis and whatnot out of the way of the melting ice.

It also closes snuggly so there's no flappy thing on the outside that snaps shut. We have another cooler with a thing that snaps shut that got caught on a door or something while open and broke off. That cooler is now used only at home for parties since it won't close securely.

The Ice Cube is still my primary cooler for the boat and now used for beer to keep a certain person (who once rummaged around at night in the dark for a beer and left the steaks out on the counter in 90 degrees when he forgot to return them) out of the boat's ice box.
I've got an old ice cube that we used camping. That might fit the ticket if it will fit!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.