SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
On our boat, with a combination of block ice and cubes, I know we can go two and a half days before we need to replenish and that's if I make John keep his beer in a separate cooler. Unless you're planning to live on canned meat and vegetables, will you stop anywhere for ice?

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
As long as you have ice and decent coolers, that's half the battle. I try to plan meals where the leftovers can be used for lunch the next day. For example, if I grill a London broil for dinner, for lunch the next day I'll slice it thin and put it with arugula, sliced onions, and a Greek yogurt/spice sauce in a wrap. The packages of tuna are easy to store and go a long way. Wraps are easier to store than a loaf of bread and don't get smooshed. We can make a meal out of guacamole and good quality chips like Stacy's. Nothing there that needs refrigeration.

Also helps to pack the cooler/ice box so that you put what you're going to eat soonest on top. That way you can get in and out quickly. I store onions, garlic, and any fruits and vegetables that don't need refrigeration in those little hammocks.

For breakfast I keep it simple. Yogurt and fresh fruit and/or granola.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
We tend to eat far less when on the boat. Start making note of how much you throw away/take home with you at the ends of your trips however long.

Reactions: Alex W

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Does anyone have a particular type of cooler they like above all others?
When we had the 22 I bought an Igloo Ice Cube. It's more vertical than horizontal and took up less berth space. It also fit nicely in the middle of the boat between the berths for use as a table, has cup holders built into the lid, and inside trays at the top to keep stuff like the cheese and salamis and whatnot out of the way of the melting ice.

It also closes snuggly so there's no flappy thing on the outside that snaps shut. We have another cooler with a thing that snaps shut that got caught on a door or something while open and broke off. That cooler is now used only at home for parties since it won't close securely.

The Ice Cube is still my primary cooler for the boat and now used for beer to keep a certain person (who once rummaged around at night in the dark for a beer and left the steaks out on the counter in 90 degrees when he forgot to return them) out of the boat's ice box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.