SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SVYankeeGirl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Beaufort, NC.

I am looking to chat and share with folks that currently own a Pacific Seacraft 25. I am the proud owner of SV Yankee Girl. By the looks of this user group, I am the third owner. I have been updating this little boat and would love to hear from others and what projects they have been working on, are challenged by and have had success with. My current project list:

• Engine: Have been working on the original Yanmar engine and getting running in a healthy manor.
  • The engine has been pulled out of the compartment. Will be painting before reinstalling.
  • Want to install a divider to protect engine from the Portside Locker.
  • Address fuel delivery system (the original fuel tank has holes).
  • Rewiring: have updated all the wiring in the boat to current ABYC standards.
  • New Batteries.
  • New Instruments: New VHF, chart plotter, depth sounder. All instruments working through NEMA 2000.
  • Replacing Bow Sprit.
  • Replace all running lights and ensure all lights meet Coast Guard regulations.
I look forward to hearing from folks. I am also trying to keep a blog on the progress. I haven't been very good at it over the past year, but I am committed to keeping better documentation of this process.

Fair Winds,
Trish
SVYankeeGirl.com

·
Registered
89 Posts
Love those boats and almost bought on up in Alexandria. They are not all *that* common so you may not find a horde of owners greet you, but you may find some kinship in the PSC subforum and with Flicka owners ;-)

Cheers,
a

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've dumped FB but there was a nice Flicka forum there and occasionally a 25 would show up ;-)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I know that boat pretty well a friend of mine had one . Sounds like you have been doing some heavy lifting to say the least . Our boat is vaguely similar to yours (no offence I hope) . Any how we have owned ours for over 20 yrs. and have done a lot to her , first thing we did was to have a new head installed , I just installed a new one a month ago . Another thing we did at first was to replace all the canvas and have a dodger installed . A few years ago I installed a solar panel and I just bought a new battery charger (40amp) but it's not installed . One thing that's cool about our boats is that they lend them selves to wood shell blocks , wood name boards , belaying pins and all that fun stuff . Check out my home page for some pictures . I will follow your blog . Good Luck !

·
SVYankeeGirl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark,
Thanks for the reply. I have had a blast getting to know this boat. I have learned a lot. From improving my own sailing skills to marine electrical and fiber glassing. I am excited to look at your photos & appreciate you checking out the blog. This is a great process and great to be part of this boats story.
Trish

·
SVYankeeGirl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been living on the boat on and off for about a year. It adds a bit of logistics to the whole process, but it hasn't been too much of an issue as I am the only one.
I would love to hear how you have addressed fresh water on the boat. PS25s are notorious for having leaking holding tanks and YG has not been left out. A previous owner has also moved the fuel tank to the stern locker as well. I am not sure I want to tackle pulling up the entire soul of the cabin in order to have fresh water on board.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Our Boat Has two fresh water tanks , the stock one is under the settee it is aluminum and about 80 gals . Fortunately it is in good shape . If it had to be replaced that would be a nightmare a lot of the floor would have to be cut up as well as a molded in seat . Westsails are prone to have leaky alum. water tanks apparently water and the Alum. don't get along well . We also have a Alum. Diesel tank , this works out well the Diesel likes the Alum. I have always said to myself that if the Alum. water tank starts to leak I will cut a hole in it and stuff in a bladder tank . We also have a poly plastic 20 gal. tank in the V berth , we keep Sparklets water in that one . That tank was easy to put in , well I had the guy put it in and the head holding tank too . Our head is fresh water so that takes a lot , we can last about two weeks on the main tank and still have a little in the small tank . We also keep various jugs of water in lockers and on the counter top . A friend of mine has a Santana 27 his main tank is about 10 gals . So his wife gets pretty creative about having some collapsible 5 gal. water containers stashed around .

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm slowly working my way through the magazines that arrived during the five months that we were in the Bahamas. Last night I noticed that the article on page 32 of the April 2018 edition of Cruising World describes the adventures of Josh and Heidi Holloway in Kiribati aboard their engineless Pacific Seacraft 25, Tiny Bubbles.

They have some stuff on line.
https://www.cruisingworld.com/discover-local-customs (the CW article)
https://www.cruisingworld.com/setting-sail-with-kids (an earlier CW article)
Although they are now on a Shannon 28, Tiny Bubbles II, there is a bit in their blog about their adventures on the PSC25. Tiny Bubbles -- the prelude to adventureswithboy123

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. New to this forum, new to PSC and new to sailing in general. Bought a Flicka20 last Thursday. Having it trailered from FL to NJ next week. It will get a new bottom job and stuffing box right away. Beyond that I have to figure out stepping the mast and sailing in general. I've lived aboard 6 years 2003-2009 and have 1000's of sea hours, just not sailing yet. Look forward to the new adventure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Trish,

I just joined to connect with another PS25 owner. I've been trying to join the yahoo group but I don't think it's operating anymore.

I bought Halavah, a 1976 PS25 about a year ago, and been slowly getting her in order. She is one of the first swing keel varieties, and was sailed by one of the previous owners from America to Melbourne.

At some point, prior to my purchase, a lot of work has been done; the deck replaced, engine removed and outward well added, 200 litre flexible tank put in the once engine bay, bowsprit added with roller furler and inner stay, and a hard dodger type thingy added, which is growing on me, not only for the available headroom it provides.

my additions include electrical upgrade, solar panels, hull repair/repaint, and a plethora of little jobs that never seem to end!! But i love my little boat! i think she is the only one in Australia, and people are always complimenting her!

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
New member here Trish. Nice job on your web site! What great work you have done! Your 25 is gorgeous!

I too will be building my own sprit...the one that came w Tachi II was cut down to a stub!

I built a boomkin for my old Dreadnought 32 and it was a pretty straightforward affair so based on that I will presume to throw in my 2 cents...
I used a stack of 3 1x3 clear fir planks from Home Depot cut to the appropriate lengths and glued up with Tightbond III. Then I sealed it with Smiths, dry fit the pieces, painted the whole thing with Rustoleum White and did the final assembly. I had that boat for 3 yrs subseqent to that and no problems.

For my plan ( would love any input) for Tachi's sprit I may do 1x6 so I can give it some shape and I will use epoxy w tape and roving for more strength as I will probably be working out on it. I may use white oak for the whole thing but not wedded to that as the Oak needs mor prep before glue-up. I will cut each plank individually to make the snout for the iron before assembling.

I was reminded by our resident shipwright
that it is a "compression piece" for the most part as the real load was carried through the cranse iron so hardwood or not it didn't matter much except for wear and tear. He also advised me not to get too carried away with attaching it to the boat...it should be stable but if it gets hit or I decide to hit someone else it should go without taking parts of either boat with it.

Excuse the attempt to hijack your thread... more like 1.00 than 2 cents. I get carried away. 🙄🙄

Fair winds!

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts