SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is the time many east coast boats are heading south, I thought I'd just remind folks that it's also the time that the U.N. is in session.

The East River will be closed to traffic from the 19th to the 24th of September from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Check the Local Notice to Mariners for details.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sep 18- 23 (9:00 am-9:00 pm). No commercial or recreational traffic in the west channel of the East River between East 35th Street and the Queensboro/ 59th Street Bridge. Vessels transiting between East 35th Street and the Queensboro/ 59th Street Bridge. shall proceed via the East Channel (i.e., east of Roosevelt Island). Vessels that require opening of the Roosevelt Island Bridge must contact the bridge tender at least 15 minutes in advance by phone at, (718) 545-2092 from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm or via VHF-FM CH 13.

Armed patrols are courteously enforcing these restrictions. My experience and that of friends who have transited this area has been that the patrols will facilitate timely bridge openings in the east channel.

Additionally no vessels will be permitted within 175 yards of Manhattan between East 35th Street and the Queensboro/59th Street Bridge.

The CG East River Patrol Command Vessel will be monitoring VHF-FM channel 16.

·
Super Moderator
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was the date of the 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. guidance? The notice on the 15th had times ..9 to 9 .TBD.

The LNM that I received 8 hours ago: listed times as 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. which was pretty consistent with past closures for this event.

NY – UPPER BAY- HUDSON RIVER – EAST RIVER – River Closure Mariners are advised that a river closure is scheduled to be held in the Upper NY Bay on the Hudson and East Rivers from September 18 to September 24, 2022. The event will occur between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Mariners should anticipate closures of the East River from September 19 – 24, 2022, the U.S. Coast Guard will be enforcing Security Zones on the East River near the United Nations Headquarters, and near the Wall Street Heliport. The East River Security Zones encompass all waters of the East River between East 35th Street and the Queensboro /59th Street Bridge, and are portioned into three distinct zones (Zones 1- 3). The Wall Street Heliport Security Zone encompasses a section of all navigable waters just south of Wall Street, Manhattan. Planning for this event is ongoing and specific times of various security zone closures may change. Every effort will be made to keep mariners informed of all changes. The CG East River Patrol Command Vessel will be monitoring VHF-FM channel 16. Exact closure periods will be broadcast daily by USCG Sector New York and Vessel Traffic Services (VTS) New York. If unable to reach the East River Patrol Command Vessel contact VTS New York on VHF-FM channel 12 or the USCG Command Center at (718) 354-4193 for updates. Roosevelt Island Bridge Openings: Vessels that require opening of the Roosevelt Island Bridge must contact the bridge tender at least 15 minutes in advance by phone (646) 899-0441, from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm or via VHF-FM CH 13. Wall Street Heliport: (Times TBD). The potential exists for this security zone to be enforced in the mornings and evenings on the dates of September 19 – 24, 2022. No vessel transits will be permitted within the Security Zone while it is in effect without the USCG Patrol Commander approval. The Security Zone includes all waters of the East River off the Wall Street Heliport within the following boundaries: East of a line drawn between approximate position 40°42’01”N, 074°00’39”W (east of The Battery) to 40°41’36”N, 074°00’52”W (NAD 1983) (point north of Governors Island) and north of a line drawn from the point north of Governors Island to the southwest corner of Pier 7, Brooklyn; and south of a line drawn between Wall Street, Manhattan, and the northwest corner of Pier 2, Brooklyn. Interested mariners may VTS New York (VTSNY) on VHF-FM CH 12. Chart 12327, 12335 LNM 35/22 (CGD01)

In any event, it's a heads up to anyone looking to transit in the next few days.

·
Super Moderator
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Regarding the East Channel. Ebb currents are very strong, (up to 5 kn.). So, unless you time it at or around slack, I wouldn't want a swift current pushing me toward that bridge. But that's just me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The quoted guidance was posted 9/15/2022. I concur that it's a heads up to anyone looking to transit in the next few days. My experience and that of friends who have transited this area has been that the patrols will courteously and and efficiently facilitate transit in the east channel. For those of us whose air draft requires opening the lift bridge on the east side of Roosevelt Island It's a rare opportunity and minor inconvenience. As G. K. Chesterton wrote, "An adventure is an inconvenience well considered."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts