SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, on my 1988 PSC 34, I don't have a 1/4 berth behind the nav station. I have two equally large lazerettes instead. I was wondering how many boats are configured like this and has anyone had to access the aft water tank in a boat configured like mine. I have discovered that there are some small cracks that are seeping a small amount of water. I understand that the cover will somehow need to be removed. The problem is the backrest of the nav station is somewhat built on top of the water tank access panel and I don't think i will be abe to reach in far enough thru the inspection port.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be heading to my boat later today an I will take a few pictures. There is a small open storage area maybe 30" wide 18" tall and 12" deep. I agree that my set up seems a better use of the space. I am not sure at my age that i would be able to bend myself into the 1/4 berth.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have at PSC34 Hull 166. Don't have the locker you describe. Unless you can access the tank cover thru the bottom of the locker, you are pretty screwed. I am guessing that someone altered the configuration to make the locker and you should be able to unalter it if necessary to access the tank cover. The tank cover itself is over 70" long and is a bear to properly replace with the quarter berth configuration...I replaced mine three years ago.

I would suggest pictures then a plan. Many of the old covers are being replaced with Type I PVC because of it's strength and ease in handling. The trick is sealing with a good quality silicone and not having any leaks afterwards. I had troubles with areas around the screws used to fasten the cover. When you get the tank off you may want to seal all the existing holes with epoxy and start fresh.

Last bit of news....if the cover is the original one from the factory, you will have to replace...the old ones made of plywood with a gel coat backing are simply delaminating. It isn't a hard project it is a bit time consuming though. My two cents. Take care and have fun.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We modified our quarterberth on Jo Beth as you described. (And as Rain Dog pointed out, it is a much better use of space - much better. It's our 'dry' cockpit locker.) The bulkhead that separates this 'new' cockpit locker from the main cabin area was designed by us and built to be removable, though removing it is no small task. It was removed once when the boatyard where we did our refit blew the lid seal while trying to clear a blocked vent line. I hope to not have to do it again for a long time.

We also had a similar issue with the aft tank as you describe. On our boat, there is a small gap between the inboard side of the water tank and the side of the liner which form the cockpit. We were able to reach the area where our tank was leaking and shove gobs - and I do mean gobs - of 3M 5200 there - and we were able to do it without removing the bulkhead or the tank lid.

As a part of our recent refit, we had replaced the tank lids on all of our tanks with new ones ordered directly from PS. However, the crack(s) in our aft tank were not visible from the inside of thank when the tank was opened up during repair and clean-up of the tank interior before the new lid went on. I suppose the pressure of water in the tank caused the cracks to open up, and leak when we were heeled over on a starboard tack.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have attached a few pictures of the interior storage behind the nav station. After looking at situation a little closer last night, i have realized that replacing the tank lid will be more of a project than i want to do at this point. I will most likely seal the cracks I see thru the inspection port to verify the location of the leak. if the sealing works, I will plan out how to replace the tank lid without cutting out the forward bulkhead of the lazzerette. If not, I will look at ways to replace the lid in pieces or remove the portion of the lid in the lazzerette which should allow enough access

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'd talk to Thumper at Pacific Seacraft about the problem. When last I was there, Octavio and a number of the fellows from California were working in Little Washington. From the photos it looks like an original installation, and they might have thought about the possibility of a leak when they built it.

There are two Beckson 4" ports in the lid of my aft tank. I replaced the white screw-in inserts with clear so I could see the amount of water in the tank.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have attached a few pictures of the interior storage behind the nav station. After looking at situation a little closer last night, i have realized that replacing the tank lid will be more of a project than i want to do at this point. I will most likely seal the cracks I see thru the inspection port to verify the location of the leak. if the sealing works, I will plan out how to replace the tank lid without cutting out the forward bulkhead of the lazzerette. If not, I will look at ways to replace the lid in pieces or remove the portion of the lid in the lazzerette which should allow enough access
That does look like a factory install. And it doesn't look like you'd be able to get the lid off without damaging the aft bulkhead.

If the leak is back aft, you might be able to cut that portion of the lid off (from inside the starboard cockpit storage area) and reinstall with a new piece of PVC cut to the same dimensions as the old portion of the lid that you remove. Attach a cleat to the underside of the existing lid and that would be a good landing spot for the new PVC, possibly add another cleat on top for extra strength.

FWIW, I'm attaching a picture of the tank with the lid off. I removed the lid on mine last season. It was a pain getting back into that small area, so having access from the cockpit may actually be a benefit.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd talk to Thumper at Pacific Seacraft about the problem. When last I was there, Octavio and a number of the fellows from California were working in Little Washington. From the photos it looks like an original installation, and they might have thought about the possibility of a leak when they built it.

There are two Beckson 4" ports in the lid of my aft tank. I replaced the white screw-in inserts with clear so I could see the amount of water in the tank.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
I agree, it does look factory. I strongly second Bill's suggestion too; talk to Thumper at PS. The crew there will go out of their way to help out PS owners.

FYI, the replacement lids we ordered for our refit came from PS with two 4" ports in the aft lid, and had clear windows in place of the solid screw in port lids.

·
Registered
456 Posts
talk to Thumper at PS. The crew there will go out of their way to help out PS owners.
Just a clarification on my suggestion. I agree that before you try anything else, a call to PS is in order. That historical knowledge is invaluable. THat's one of the great benefits of having a boat whose builder is still producing boats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts