SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Terry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
The car assembly (Schaefer) on my main sheet track has disintegrated during very heavy night sail from Sydney to Melbourne. The boat is vintage 1989 PCS34.
Would anyone know how I can get the replace parts or a new car that will fit the rail/track. I suspect that this model is well passed obsolete.
Thanks for any advice
Terry

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,637 Posts
Garhauer Marine hardware check the prices on their new travelers before you source parts for your old one, just saying..

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Rigrite is known to be expensive and customer unfriendly. I had an issue with my 1985 vintage Schaefer traveler car. Prices for a replacement car from Rigrite were insane. I was able to find a part to repair it and use a new Schaefer fiddle block. I did learn in that process that Schaefer changed the width of their two sizes of tracks sometime after mine was made and installled so the new cars didn't fit. Don't remember the date of change, but you need to figure out if yours is an "old" one or a "new" one.

Considering a whole new system from Garhauer is worth considering if you have an old width track and the can't find parts at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
583 Posts
Hi All,
The car assembly (Schaefer) on my main sheet track has disintegrated during very heavy night sail from Sydney to Melbourne. The boat is vintage 1989 PCS34.
Would anyone know how I can get the replace parts or a new car that will fit the rail/track. I suspect that this model is well passed obsolete.
Thanks for any advice
Terry
===========================
another option is to replace it with a new traveler system, of your choice, have done that in the past, no need to stick to the original design really, in fact will give you the opportunity to improve on some features that became obvious during your personal experience.
If you do that you can pick up a traveler off the shelf at a good price.
For instance, a total replacement I did on one of my boats I used a Harken only because was the less expensive and on sale at a local WM!!!

·
Terry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
===========================
another option is to replace it with a new traveler system, of your choice, have done that in the past, no need to stick to the original design really, in fact will give you the opportunity to improve on some features that became obvious during your personal experience.
If you do that you can pick up a traveler off the shelf at a good price.
For instance, a total replacement I did on one of my boats I used a Harken only because was the less expensive and on sale at a local WM!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts