SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day All,

I'm finally at the point of installing the Hydrovane I purchased a year and a half ago and am curious if anyone has done similar so I can pick their brain.

My first task is locating the H-Bracket up top. For the standoff distance I need (12" total, 5" from backstay chainplate to bracket face), a faired wood block doesn't look doable, and I'm thinking of having a stainless bracket fab'd. Has anyone else done this and if so what did you do and how did it work out?

Also any other tips and tricks on the install would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. If anyone wants/needs the stern swim ladder, it's gotta come off....

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Ryan--Would it not make more sense to just use a pair of A-Brackets? One at the top, horizontal and one at the bottom, angled upward somewhat to help carry the vertical load? I'm sure Hydrovane would swap your H-Bracket for an A without too much added cost, No?

·
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might make more sense, but it would also cost more cents. A-brackets run close to $2000, the H is $500, and the fab shop I go to will probably run me between $500-700 for the bracket. So, dollarwise I'm better off sticking with the HA setup.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
it might make more sense, but it would also cost more cents. A-brackets run close to $2000, the h is $500, and the fab shop i go to will probably run me between $500-700 for the bracket. So, dollarwise i'm better off sticking with the ha setup.
ouch!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts