SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I''ve been considering converting to a P.S.S type shaft system on my diesel powered Pearson 30. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Unless you are not telling us something else then leave well enough alone.

If you pull your shaft you may find that the packing in the stuffing box has worn the shaft at that point. If the "new" system must use any of that surface then it will not be full diameter.

Just change the stuffing box hose if it''s old and the packing. The old system works fine as far as I am concerned. If the hose is old then look at the cultlass brg. too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used a PSS on a Seidelmann 299 for many years until sold this past summer. Replaced packing gland on 6 year old replacement as first project this past summer.

Presume your concern is water in hull. With conventional gland the recommended 2 to 3 drops per minute collect in a shallow bilge and mount up over a week.

On an older boat there is probably wear in the shaft that will need to be replaced to get a tight seal. The PSS uses two O rings around the shaft for a seal. It may be possible to shorten the shaft enough to get this seal if needed. There is a little adjustment to where the seal is placed, but not much. If interested, I can e-mail the installation instructions to you if you are interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced the old packing system on my Newport 28 with a PSS system. It worked great this past year (first season). The shaft was scored by the old packing. I had a local (marine savvy) machine shop metal spray the shaft and grind it true again. It was more than adequate to provide a good seal with the PSS O rings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts