Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**** everything about the dismal swamp!

That is all.

LOL seriously this canal is brutul!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Must be a different one from the one I've gone through.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not a fun canal. The boat refused to respond until the rudder input was kind of large and then responded too much. It does this in shallow water but this was worse. Plus it was hot and no apparent breeze. The real bad part was stirring up the bottom and hitting trees. We did that a lot. Not my idea of a fun day at all, I'm glad its over.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
You're in a swing keel boat, with an outboard you can steer with, and you're hitting trees and can't steer? The H 260 must be a lot less responsive than my H 26 was.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in a 67' CPMY. I should have specified that. I wish I was in my H260!! But this ride was offered me.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
I have no idea what a CPMY is. I went through in my Ontario 32 with 4 1/2' draft, and much preferred it over the Virginia Cut.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a Hatteras drawing 5&1/2ft. It easily sucked stuff off the canal bed and into the props.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why did you prefer it? Time or was it something else.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
For one, it wasn't full of powerboats (and their wakes). For two, it was more scenic. For three, no Currituck Sound.

If I was in a powerboat though, I'd take the Virginia Cut.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Including is there were 3 power boats and one sailboat one the canal today. Given the option, under sail or power, I will not transit that canal again. To each their own!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Including is there were 3 power boats and one sailboat one the canal today. Given the option, under sail or power, I will not transit that canal again. To each their own!

I would never take a twin screw powerboat of any size through the Dismal Swamp... But a 67-footer drawing 5.5 feet ??? Wow, that's REALLY asking for trouble... :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
My wife and I sailed our Cheoy Lee 31 from Key West to Penobscot Bay. We did most of the trip outside, but came in to Elizabeth City and took the Dismal Swamp canal to Portsmouth, VA. We didn't do that much of the ICW, but the Dismal was the only part I'd do again. Elizabeth City was great, and the Dismal was beautiful when we went through. We stopped at the visitor's center and tied up for the night for free. The museum and nature trail are worth seeing. The old locks are a unique experience also.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Loved the swamp. Saved me money on cat food that day as my Siamese decimated the dragonfly population, catching them with leaps of the foredeck. .

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Evidently I'm in the minority here. LOL

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Had you merely said going through in a 67', 5 1/2' draft powerboat wasn't a good experience, that would be one thing. To make a blanket statement after going through though is something else.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Meh, for me that canal was a one time deal. I would definitely go back for an over night hike tho.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Meh, for me that canal was a one time deal.
Well, despite the fact you were doing it on a boat poorly suited for the purpose, I have to agree... It ain't no Erie Canal, that's for sure :) Or, even the equal of the Okeechobee, IMO...

I don't really get the appeal of the Dismal Swamp route, either. (I suspect the free dockage at the Visitor's Center and Elizabeth City has a lot to do with it :)) It was fun to do once, but it's unlikely I'll do it again, and certainly not during the seasonal migration of snowbirds. Only time I did it was very early in the spring, and I had it to myself, which was nice. I'd have no desire to ever do it with a crowd of other boats, I detest traveling in one of those 'parades' that can develop on the Ditch when flocks of boats are constrained by restricted bridges or locks...

On a delivery, or on a faster powerboat, the Virginia Cut is a no-brainer... And, I'm more than slightly prejudiced in favor of Coinjock, one of my favorite stops anywhere... But if you're looking to actually do some sailing, at least there's the chance of doing so on the Ditch... I've had some great sails on Currituck Sound, and down the North Landing River... And, if the weather favors going around thru Pamlico Sound instead of down the ICW, the Virginia Cut is the only way to go, as Elizabeth City - being so much further west - adds considerable distance to the route in comparison...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm enjoying the Chesapeake quite a bit. I've traveled it before but never with the ability to stop and look around. Tangier Island is an interesting place for sure. We left there this morning are in the Choptank River. Wow! Some gorgeous homes here! Going to watch cardboard boat races in the morning. LOL

·
cruising all I can
918 Posts
I vote for the DS over VA cut, much more pleasant a route. places to tie up at no cost.great scenery, limited stinkpot buttheads,and when going south, Elizabeth City as a reward, with there welcoming waterfront and free dockage.
I found VA cut to be unpleasant and at the southern end,no dockage w/out. payment, terrible facilities and unpleasant marina employees, with their hand in your pocket.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I only ever hiked part of the DS while driving up from Florida. I found everyone at the visitor's centre to be very helpful and friendly. Might be a few years till I transit it on a boat though

1 - 20 of 25 Posts