SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Puerto Rico base??

8K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  the aviator 
#1 ·
Having recently turned 70 thinking about where to retire to is on my mind. Too much. We are not ready to do that, yet I am a planner by nature and such questions niggle me. And I cant really find any good spot. It is agitated by this damn virus and all the travel restrictions.

The idea came to me that perhaps PR is a reasonable place to retire. We spent a couple of weeks in Salinias and that was OK. But thats the limit of my knowledge.

Any of you guys have any opinions about this?

Reactions: 156680
#33 ·
Yeah. Or possibly Antigua. We have done Grenada before.

RE: St Martin I am little concerned about picking a 20 ton boat with a crane. But I guess Bobbys has a travel lift. But then. Both bridges need to work, not always a sure thing. 6-1/2’ draft.

#34 ·
Yes, cranes irk me too. But Kranky at Time Out Boat Yard is quite substantial.
Have you tried St Kits? Some people like it. It's a bus ride from town.
But when you put all the different facets together, SXM wins with the direct flights, chandlers around the lagoon Etc. Except you could get splattered by a hurricane 🌀🌀🌀

#35 ·
Good morning I will like to share my 2 cents. Been born in the US ,Raize in PR and seen other great places I beleived I can comment about PR as a base.

First let take the goverment factor out of the way, all sucks where ever is money and power corruption hatch.

If we look at zero criminality then move to singapore or filipines, drug dealers are killed. If you spit or they see you chewing gum you get arrested. SO if criminality is an issue we need to go far to alaska or an abandon Island.
Also it is been said PR get 1 billion of dollars per month. Not including catastrophe grants. But we send monthly close to $3.5 billion into the US Treasury in the form of Business Income Taxes, Individual income tax withheld and FICA tax, Individual income tax payments and SECA tax, Unemployment insurance tax, Estate and trust income tax, Estate tax, Gift tax and Excise taxes.

But again what you look for. in my opinion
1: almost every day summer time and good sailing grounds (caribean)
2" Feel protected been in a US territories or friendly to US. (Some Central America and Caribean)
3:double my dollar value ( DR,Guatemala,CostaRica)
4: No HOA of fancy tax (DR,PR and USVI)
5. Friendly people and good health Care (PR I am biase) But Caribean or Islander are easy going, some time to slow to the lazy side. But some times stubborn when comes to political topics.
But the caribean is use to get hit by mother earth constantly and we will be ready to help others after the storm pass.
6: cheap marinas (guatemala)

Bottom line if the cost is an issue PR is not that place . But Overal I think we check several boxes.

thanks
Charles P.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.